QVC Customer Care

Re: LIFE ALERT anyone use/own?

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know anybody who uses one but obviously, for at risk people, they're a good idea.  Years ago, my Mother inlaw fell in her bathroom after tripping over her small dog.  She hit her head and was in and out of consciousness for 2 days before one of DH's siblings discovered her.  What was odd is that one or the other sibling would visit her everyday but that weekend they were both away and assumed the other would still be visiting.  She survived but the quality of her mental status was never again the same.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Your mother may be insulted..... and disinherit you....... (I would)

Why???  I think it's a great safety feature like grab bars in the shower.   I tripped in our condo back in December and badly hurt my foot.  Could not get up.  If I had been alone, not sure what I would have done, probably would have called 911.  But having something like Life Alert or similar would give me great peace of mind. 

I have no problem admitting I am getting old (71) and may need help at some point.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Senior Safety for my Mom, was very pleased with it, very reasonable, no contracts to sign and very good customer service. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I used Sr Safety for my Mom, was very pleased with it, very reasonable, no contracts to sign and very good customer service. 

thanks @Shelbelle , i just requested their brochure.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I used Senior Safety for my Mom, was very pleased with it, very reasonable, no contracts to sign and very good customer service. 

thanks @Shelbelle , i just requested their brochure.

Sun, I used it a while ago, my Mom passed away in 2013, but I had done my homework, when I chose it. They had a few options but she chose to wear a watch on her wrist. but, there were no contracts, cancel at any time, and their service was very good. when she passed away, I sent the equipment back, feeling pleased. They also included a lock box for her front door, I liked that. It was useful for myself too.  with tech changing so often, they may now offer more high tech solutions then they did then. good luck !!!My Mom was over 90 when I got it for her, and she lived alone in a single home. 

Honored Contributor

HSN used to have a lanyard device that just called 911.  It didn't track you, so you would need to be able to speak to them.  They now have the same thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car, but no lanyard one.  I see QVC has a similar lanyard one that is water resistant.  They do nothing but call 911, but there are also no monthly fees associated with it.  You can wear it as a lanyard, or clip it on a purse.  I have considered getting one as a just in case to have with me, not because I think I will fall, but just for an unforseen emergency situation. 

Contributor

Life Alert was AWFUL.  I needed an alert system for my mother.  They made me sign a contract which was hard to break even when she passed away.  They also conned me into subscribing for features that were not needed.  BUYER BEWARE.  Recently I needed to enlist a service for myself.  Using Alert 1 which I am very pleased with.  No contract, no hard sell.  Highly recommend.

Valued Contributor

I bought my mother an Apple Watch for Christmas. She has fallen a couple of times in the last 2 years. The Apple Watch too, has fall detection. When you fall, it asks if you are ok or to dial emergency services. If you don't respond, it calls emergency services and your emergency contacts. 

From my understanding, the Life Alert doesnt have fall detection but some other brands do. So if you fall and get knocked out, there is no way to press the button. 

I know for myself, when I panic, it is not always easy to fiddle around with my phone or apple watch. It is a very secure feeling knowing if you're alone and you have an emergency, whether it's an health issue or fall or robbery or fire that all you have to do is push a button. Seconds count in emergency situations and when you press the button, help is immediate.

They also help you with your decision making, not everything is worthy of a hospital trip or police call- they can connect you to your emergency contacts.

My mother is going to be living alone soon and I am still researching which brand and service to get her. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/medical-alert-systems/how-to-choose-a-medical-alert-system/

Esteemed Contributor

I've had one for 14 years - have never needed to use it   (happy happy) but.......I have a 3 level house - stairs to the laundry with a cement floor.

I carry ladders up/down - lawn blowers - groceries down to big freezer - change filter in furnace, etc.

I'd rather have help come, if needed, than to lay on the basement floor with a broken leg for days.

Push the button and police - firemen - medics come charging

Peace of mind..................