Honored Contributor

Re: LAP BAND O BAND TO LOSE WEIGHT

forgot to say thank you for all of your wise input-I really appreciate it.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@catlover wrote:

Surgery is not for me-that I know......I was just curious about the o band as I've had that silly jingle I hear on the radio stuck in my head-o o o  o band today and live healthy ever after-o band......................

I think if I take it slow....like Paula Deen did for example and make smarter choices, I'll be ok

She lost approx. 50 pounds and looks great....but more important-FEELS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not looking to look good naked at this point-I just want to look good in clothing of my choice  and to be comfortable.

@catlover, We have our own slow and steady weight loss queen right here on the forums with @gidgetgoeshawaiian.  

Trusted Contributor

I would never disparage someone's choice to have bariatric surgery!

The patients who choose this route have exhausted short term fixes, are well informed about future implications, and must pass many screenings (including psych). I do understand Morbid Obesity. It is a horrible impediment to a happy and fulfilled life.

I apologize to anyone I offended. My comment was meant to say that bariatric surgery is by no means "an easy out". That statement is usually said by a non-obese person.

I'm going to lay low for a while.

dee

Honored Contributor

I know numerous people who have had bariatric surgery.  Some have been successful, losing half their body weight.  Some have had life threatening complications and at least one eventually succumbed to the complications. 

More and more practices seem to be doing a sleeve as opposed to lap band.  I believe it has been approved for teenagers as well as adults with as little as 50 pounds to lose.

We all know elective surgery comes with risks. While 10 people may fly through gall bladder surgery, there is always 1 person  who ends up with complications.

@catlover

I wish you luck with your weight loss journey.

I am a person who has suffered from anorexia and bulimia for 50 years so I empathize with you.

Honored Contributor

I know a couple of women who have had weight-loss surgery.  One of the women had severe depression after the surgery.  She did lose 80 pounds but has never shed the other 50 she had hoped to lose.  The other two women gained the weight back.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

The patients who choose this route have exhausted short term fixes, are well informed about future implications, and must pass many screenings (including psych). I do understand Morbid Obesity. It is a horrible impediment to a happy and fulfilled life.

I apologize to anyone I offended. My comment was meant to say that bariatric surgery is by no means "an easy out". That statement is usually said by a non-obese person.

dee

@deedledeedeedle

you are so right.......I know someone who had the sleeve done and she had to go to many doctor's before she was approved. Then after she had it done and woke up-her 1st thought was-What have I done?

She has lost 165 pounds in 16 months-but if you think about it-that's approx. 10 pounds a month, which you can do on a sensible weight loss program.

Let's face it-they are cutting away parts of your body and moving around organs............not the easy way to go.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

dee

I hope you don't think I was offended by your post. In fact, it had some good  points about Gastric Bypass and weight loss. This surgery is a big deal and it can be deadly. I am sorry if I sounded offended or rude in my posts. I was just writing my experiences. I hope you are not laying low became of my posts but if so, I sincerely apologize.

Honored Contributor

Hi to you @tansy,

Lost trac of how many times I have talked at length about this topic. I learned what it really involves when my wife decided to have this surgery in 2008.

To sum it up: "All medical weight loss routes are ONLY A TOOL. PERIOD!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi to you @tansy,

Lost trac of how many times I have talked at length about this topic. I learned what it really involves when my wife decided to have this surgery in 2008.

To sum it up: "All medical weight loss routes are ONLY A TOOL. PERIOD!

hckynut(john)

Waving hi 👋 back at you, @hckynut.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My friend had the lap band surgery.  She became violently ill and had to have it removed about 2 weeks later.

My friend had the same experience.  It was painful being around him cuz he could not keep anything down and many times we'd be in the car and he'd have dry heaves and more than once he'd pull car over and run a few feet and get sick.  His had to be removed also.