Honored Contributor

LAODICEA LANGSTON, REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD GIRL SPY

On the eve of the Fourth, remembering interesting figures from the Founding period.

Laodicea, born in 1766, was nicknamed "Dicey", and as a young girl she acted on a number of occasions as a spy for the Patriots.

Notably, she got wind of a secret attack planned by the Tories on a group of Patriots that included her brother;  she fled to warn them, fording the swollen Tyger river to do so.

The engraving in the Wikipedia entry is characteristically dramatic-- showing the spunky Dicey sheilding her father from a Tory who wanted to kill him.  Another in the group admired her bravery, and the men retreated without harming anyone.

There are so many fascinating stories about Dicey and others during that action-packed time....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicey_Langston

Valued Contributor

Re: LAODICEA LANGSTON, REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD GIRL SPY

Thank you for this post @Oznell. I love history. I had never heard of Laodicea Langston before. The Revolutionary War took eveyone working together.

(An interesting piece of tidbit from my family history - I had a great...great grandfather who came over from England and joined the American side during the Revolutionary War. I thought that was so neat when I read about that). 

Honored Contributor

Re: LAODICEA LANGSTON, REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD GIRL SPY

Very cool, @cimeranrose!   It's quite interesting that, someone so recently arrived from Britain, whom you would assume to be on the Loyalist side (at least at first), would readily join the American patriots.  There must have been something about the great, American experiment that immediately appealed to him!  Hope you are able to find out as much as possible about this ancestor's tantalizing story....