Honored Contributor

LADY JANE GREY, THE "NINE DAY" QUEEN OF ENGLAND

(My husband just found an article on Lady Jane Grey which forcibly reminded me that the storied royal pageant on display this weekend, is a never-ending thread....)

After only a nine day reign on England's throne, sixteen year old Lady Jane Grey's rule was ended in 1553.  The young monarch had been nominated to rule by her cousin, teenage King Edward, before his untimely death.  But it was not to be for long, and she was soon executed.

Thus, Lady Jane was Queen after King Edward, and before Queen Mary, who authorized Jane's execution (believing herself to be the rightful heir of her father, King Henry VIII.)  After Mary, of course, came the long, famously prosperous reign of Elizabeth I.

Lady Jane Grey has always fascinated me.  Even as a teenager, she was said to have formidable intellectual gifts, and a composure beyond her years.

As per tradition, she was allowed to bring a small prayer book to her execution, which she carefully inscribed to her jailer as a little gift.  She had the presence of mind to hand her gloves and handkerchief to one of her faithful ladies-in-waiting, indentified as "Mistress Ellyn".  She even asked the axe-man if he was going to take her unawares, or if she would have time to affix a blindfold and orient herself first.  He assured her she would.  She made a small, cogent speech, with reference to her belief in a better life ahead, and then it was all over.

Can you imagine?   Extraordinary young woman, demonstrating the very extreme of "grace under pressure".

Honored Contributor

Re: LADY JANE GREY, THE "NINE DAY" QUEEN OF ENGLAND

Anne Boleyn was beheaded on May 19, 1536.  482 years later....

Honored Contributor

Oznell

I have heard of Lady Grey and appreciate your information on her.  She was certainly dignified up unto the end.  How tragic  she wasn't able to rule for any length of time.  Being a learned woman and a person of strength she could have accomplished much.  

Valued Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you for the interesting story of Lady Jane Grey.

Now here is a picture I found of Earl Gray (sorry, that's how he spells it) in the local paper. 

earl gray.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Oznell

He is in a contest at the Humane Society to be included in the yearly calendar!  

Cute name, isn't it? 

BTW, I do love Earl Grey tea a lot.  I'll drink some tomorrow for the wedding.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell, thank you for this information. I don't believe I've ever come across the name Lady Jane Grey before. I appreciate your taking the time to share that with us.

Respected Contributor

The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory is a terrific historical fiction about the Grey sisters. Jane was very pious as a child and had the crown pushed on her by her father. She was only 16 when executed. 

Honored Contributor

Events like this beautiful royal wedding have a way of bringing history to the fore, for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

hmmm very interesting. 

I remember growing up Mom saying to me "hey Lady Jane....." I wonder where that came from? My friend's Mom used to say that her too. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell what is more fascinating than English history?!!!  so many real-life stories.  with all this folderol and soap opera of late i am thinking how well Queen Elizabeth II has navigated decades - with dignity and intelligence - from a period when women were not prominent to the present-day.  she managed to correct her course when necessary -  and not get into the fray.  i must say that i prefer the leader as example - rather than being lectured to.