Honored Contributor

Re: LADY JANE GREY, THE "NINE DAY" QUEEN OF ENGLAND

@Mary Bailey, that is so interesting!   I had a friend who also used that expression.

Have been thinking about it, and I'm going to make a wild guess as to possible origin.  You know, some people back then thought that young King Edward was wrong to throw his support behind Lady Jane Grey for Queen-- after all, she was a cousin only, where his sisters Mary and Elizabeth were, like him, children of Henry VIII.

But Edward and his supporters had the succession take a little detour, and it went like this--   Henry VIII,  Edward, Jane, Mary, then Elizabeth I.   So there was a faction that thought of Lady Jane as a great usurper, I'm guessing, who took the throne (however briefly) away from other, more rightful heirs.

So maybe "Lady Jane" came to mean someone who was taking over and needed to be brought down a peg?   It's a wacky theory but it's all mine!

I don't think she was like that at all, from what little I know of her.  There were historical forces at work that seemed to use these various principals as pawns in a greater scheme, I think....   

Honored Contributor

Oh, agreed, @ms traditional.  Elizabeth II has adapted where necessary, but essentially stuck to her code, and her leadership by example is what makes her such a respected figure...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though it romanticizes the relationship, there is an excellent movie about Lady Jane Grey. (played by a young Helena Bonham Carter)

Lady Jane

Honored Contributor

Oh, @lulu1,  Helena Bonham Carter would be such an interesting Jane!

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Anne Boleyn was beheaded on May 19, 1536.  482 years later....

no, AB was beheaded before 482 years had passed. She was the 2nd of Henry's infamous (and unfortunate) 6 wives .

Valued Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Though it romanticizes the relationship, there is an excellent movie about Lady Jane Grey. (played by a young Helena Bonham Carter)

Lady Jane

@lulu1, that was a good movie. I will have to look for it because I would like to see it again.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Anne Boleyn was beheaded on May 19, 1536.  482 years later....

I was just thinking the same thing.