Honored Contributor

Re: Kroger Buying Albertson’s

Powers Continued Progress Toward Shared ESG Initiatives.

Both companies have ambitious sustainability programs and a range of initiatives focused on responsible corporate stewardship, including those focused on increasing workforce diversity and fighting food insecurity. By joining forces, the combined company will be better positioned to advance a comprehensive ESG strategy focused on Kroger and Albertsons Cos.' shared mission to support the communities they serve and pursue a more sustainable future. The addition of Albertsons Cos.' sustainability program and resources will accelerate progress on Kroger's Zero Hunger|Zero Waste social and environmental impact plan to create a more equitable and sustainable food system.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Color me skeptical.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Color me skeptical.

The spin doctors worked overtime on those two statements. Thank you for sharing. I also saw additional store names in your list of their acquisitions.

Honored Contributor

It’s not just a grocery store monopoly. The food supply itself is largely controlled by just a few agriculture and manufacturers who own the overwhelming majority of food produced.

Yes, I believe there is legitimate inflation and shortages in some cases. I also believe many of these companies are making record profits. Some of the inordinate price increases are done using the pandemic and aftermath as “cover.” Corporations at their finest.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sheez...even Haggen's is going to be a Kroger's.  There is one in the neighboring town...expensive but a huge produce section and fun to browse occasionally🫤

Honored Contributor

Feels like someone is putting a plate of tripe or tongue in front of you and saying:

You'll eat it -- and you'll like it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

It has been reported that Kroger is in the process of acquiring Albertson's. Kroger currently operates 17 grocery store names. Albertson's is operating 15 different stores. (These 32 store chains were large on their own.) This seems problematic to me. Eliminating the competition allows stores to increase prices at will. It seems the retail sector is doing exactly what the suppliers have done.

Worldwide 10 mega companies control the food supply. We are having food price increases that are being done under the cover of inflation. While looking at price increases vs actual cost, profits are rising. This is not inflation. It is corporate greed. 

If a few corporations gain control of the grocery store side, I do not want to imagine how costly having food on the table will become. I feel like "Debbie Downer," but a lot of this is happening without the public understanding its magnitude and long term impact.

Kroeger, Ralph's, Dillion's, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C., Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick 'n Save, Metro Market, and Mariano's are Kroeger owned.

Albertson's, Safeway, Von's, Tom Thumb, Jewel Osco, Pavilions, Shaws, Randall's, United Supermarkets, Acme Markets, Lucky Stores, Osco Drug and Save-on Drugs, Hagen Food and Pharmacy, Star Market, And Carr's Safeway are owned by Albertson's.

@On It 

Not disagreeing with you, but "corporate greed" is too simplistic.  Every executive of every publicly held corporation feels the pressure of shareholder greed

Earnings are announced at the end of each calendar quarter and BOY there better be good news for the shareholders ... some of them call the executives to find out what the "problems" are and even demanding their resignations if they can't fix the "problem" ... fast.

Retail is a brutal business, but retail grocery is even more of a nightmare.  Customers (and employees) steal them blind.  Wegman's recently announced they are stopping self-checkouts because of the shoplifting issue.

NOT an industry I would want to be working in ... no matter how much they paid me!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaide wrote:

I live just outside of Seattle. There is a Fred Meyer (Kroger) a QfC( Kroger) a Safeway and an Albertsons all near by.  I shop at all of them for different things...sales...store brands etc.  I do not think this buy out is a good thing. They never are.....

That's my basic situation, too, @SeaMaiden, although I shop at Costco frequently.  

@tansy   Oh Costco! My second LOVE besides Amazon🥰😄

Esteemed Contributor

Scary

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

In Arizona Albertsons and Safeway prices are high, very high imho. But the problem is that there will be fewer places to shop that aren't owned by 1 or 2 mega corporations. We will only have Frys (Kroger), Walmart, a couple of Bashas if they don't go away (they've already closed the one by me) and a few other smaller places like Trader Joe's, and Sprouts. There is still Target,Costco and Sams Club. 

I'm in AZ too.  Safeway has good digital deals (like 99 cents eggs, ice cream, cheese, milk, etc.)   I go to Fry's (Kroger) for some things, but their produce is the worst.  I find the people who work at Safeway are nicer too. Bashas (a family owned store in our area) I think is high priced and they have fewer options.  Trader Joe's and Sprouts are getting too expensive too.