Respected Contributor

It has been reported that Kroger is in the process of acquiring Albertson's. Kroger currently operates 17 grocery store names. Albertson's is operating 15 different stores. (These 32 store chains were large on their own.) This seems problematic to me. Eliminating the competition allows stores to increase prices at will. It seems the retail sector is doing exactly what the suppliers have done.

Worldwide 10 mega companies control the food supply. We are having food price increases that are being done under the cover of inflation. While looking at price increases vs actual cost, profits are rising. This is not inflation. It is corporate greed. 

If a few corporations gain control of the grocery store side, I do not want to imagine how costly having food on the table will become. I feel like "Debbie Downer," but a lot of this is happening without the public understanding its magnitude and long term impact.

Kroeger, Ralph's, Dillion's, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C., Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick 'n Save, Metro Market, and Mariano's are Kroeger owned.

Albertson's, Safeway, Von's, Tom Thumb, Jewel Osco, Pavilions, Shaws, Randall's, United Supermarkets, Acme Markets, Lucky Stores, Osco Drug and Save-on Drugs, Hagen Food and Pharmacy, Star Market, And Carr's Safeway are owned by Albertson's.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kroger Buying Albertson’s

[ Edited ]

The large corporations are doing the same thing to smaller family-owned type farms, which is as much or more concerning.

I don't have any of those choices for groceries where I live.  Walmart stores "compete" with themselves in my town.

Honored Contributor

I am pro business and a stockholder of many American companies.  However, when I go grocery shopping I see many outrageous increases, 25%, 33%, even double in some cases.  Why are they doing this?  Because they can.  No one will stop them.  They will reap windfall profits just like the oil companies.

Honored Contributor

I thought Kroger and Albertson's was one in the same, just different geography.  I know when we go out to MT the Alberston's there accepts the Kroger discount card and has for years.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Arizona Albertsons and Safeway prices are high, very high imho. But the problem is that there will be fewer places to shop that aren't owned by 1 or 2 mega corporations. We will only have Frys (Kroger), Walmart, a couple of Bashas if they don't go away (they've already closed the one by me) and a few other smaller places like Trader Joe's, and Sprouts. There is still Target,Costco and Sams Club. 

Honored Contributor

I'm very unhappy about this.  Of the two major grocery chains in my area, one is already owned by Kroger.  It's awful, I don't shop there.  The other is Albertsons.  It's the only decent place I can get edible meat.

Wal-Mart is looking better and better.  This buy-out will clearly create a monopoly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kroger is where I shop primarily.  I like to get the points for gas.  I like Boar's Head deli ham, and they have that.  I like their rotisserie chicken.  I will buy chicken and meat there.  If I want steak (rarely) there is a local store that has wonderful meat.  Their produce is mostly okay.  We also have Fresh Market and Whole Foods.

I also shop at Walmart but don't like their meat or produce.  For really good produce we have several markets, but they aren't as convenient for me.  I did read about Kroger buying Albertson's this morning and hope it doesn't mean that prices will go up.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm happy that I shop in Publix. All of the Kroger stores where I have  occasionally shopped are not well stocked, no one to help you find an item and frankly they are not clean and the meat and seafood counters smell awful. 

Publix stores on the other hand are clean, well stocked and have  plenty of friendly employees that will stop what they are doing and help you find and item. 

Respected Contributor

It will raise prices and they can lower quality of food products.  No competition.  Thank goodness for Trader Joes.  Would love to have HEB come into Colorado.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

It will raise prices and they can lower quality of food products.  No competition.  Thank goodness for Trader Joes.  Would love to have HEB come into Colorado.

Precisely.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~