Respected Contributor

Re: Kroger Buying Albertson’s

@Spurt Thank you for sharing. That list was especially interesting. I did not realize HEB has that type of national ranking.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Spurt Thank you for sharing. That list was especially interesting. I did not realize HEB has that type of national ranking.

@On It 

I've never heard of HEB, but clearly they are doing a lot of things right! 

Frequent Contributor

My neighbors are stockpiling food.....this makes me crazy.
They are very nice people but it's weird.
Valued Contributor

This merger affects us here in New England because right now Albertson's owns two of our chains--Shaw's and Star Market.  Star was a beloved local chain until being bought out by Shaw's years ago.  Their customer base was so devoted that Shaw's kept the name and even the physical stores are different.  I think it is funny that a lot of people are worried about Kroger raising prices because up here Shaw's and Star Market are easily the most expensive supermarkets out of about 10 different chain options that we have.

Kroger has never had a presence in New England so that is a way for them to get their foot in the door.  I never shop Shaw's/Star because they are significantly more expensive and their quality is no better than others.  We are fortunate here in MA NH RI and ME to have Market Basket.  Outstanding customer service, fantastic selection, unbeatable prices on most items (they keep Hannaford and Stop and Shop on their toes to the consumer's benefit) and knowledgeable and friendly staff.  On any busy shopping day 

my local MB has about 26 open registers and there could be 2 or 3 waiting at each one.

I hope that this merger works to keep prices as low as possible in this ultra competetive market.

Honored Contributor

People objecting to this merger ought to contact their US Senators.  I understand there may be an inquiry due to antitrust laws.  Its not a sure thing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Melbalee wrote:
My neighbors are stockpiling food.....this makes me crazy.
They are very nice people but it's weird.

@Melbalee   You might mention to your neighbors that, if this merger happens, and it's not a sure thing, it won't be until 2024.  If they're concerned, the need to contact their  US Senators.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Albertsons closed almost all of their stores here and changed them into Tom Thumb storesquite awhile ago.  They are much more expensive on everything than the Kroger stores here. We finally have more HEB stores opening here and I much prefer them. They also operate Central Market stores. I think two big corps owning so many chains is one reason Walmart ends up getting so much grocery business, even when so much of theirs is low quality. Where does Aldi fit into the equation? We only have two here but one close by...it is icky dirty so I have only been once.

@Trailrun23 

Reading all these comments Im so glad HEB took over...

And I love their CENTRAL MARKET Store....so many unique items you cant find anywhere else.....they even have a customer assistant roaming aisles asking if you need help finding something....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I agree @Kachina624  - this is from a cashier who works at Albertson's, she said she won't worry about it until it happens in 2024.