Respected Contributor

Re: Kroger Buying Albertson’s

Albertsons closed almost all of their stores here and changed them into Tom Thumb storesquite awhile ago.  They are much more expensive on everything than the Kroger stores here. We finally have more HEB stores opening here and I much prefer them. They also operate Central Market stores. I think two big corps owning so many chains is one reason Walmart ends up getting so much grocery business, even when so much of theirs is low quality. Where does Aldi fit into the equation? We only have two here but one close by...it is icky dirty so I have only been once.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of the stores mentioned that are merging or taking over or whatever.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Can't the federal government nix this for creating a monopoly?  Anti-trust laws kicking in.  I don't think it's going to save us money in So. Calif.

Honored Contributor

In theory, mergers like this can be both good and bad. There's less competition, but the larger chain has more buying power and can fight for lower prices. Both chains are already big enough to get the best possible pricing, so that's kind of a moot point here. They can simplify/unify their distribution warehouses and supply chains, which could lower costs, but would it be substantial? Probably not. 

Locally we have just one real grocery store and that's Acme (part of Albertson's.). We had two but one opted to leave town when a Walmart Supercenter was proposed to open here. That Supercenter never came due to various shenanigans by local and state politicians. (Stalling the approval process for years, then the state declaring the land they were to build on endangered. Oddly enough it wasn't endangered for the decades it was farmed intensively.) The second closest grocery store in the state is, surprise, surprise, another Acme. There's no price competition here these days so the merger won't affect me at all. 

My local Walmart has I think six aisles of groceries, but that's all. If you want fresh meat, produce, or less common items, it's off to Acme. Gas prices and bridge tolls make shopping around a nonfactor in terms of cost savings.

Nationally, Walmart will force the new combined chain to stay price competitive. Walmart is still number one overall by a large margin. If you're lucky enough to have a Walmart with a real grocery store, you should still be fine. For the rest of us, we're already at the mercy of one chain, so it shouldn't make a big impact. They'll continue to charge us whatever they feel like.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Are these southern or western stores? We don't have them in western NY. Our main stores are Wegmans, Tops and of course, Wal-Mart. In the city, there are Trader Joes and Whole Foods. They are over an hour from my town, so I stick with Wegmans.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting thread. 

Prior to moving to Florida, we had so many grocery stores within a 10/15 minute drive that you could easily compare prices and shop the competitor without spending much time driving from one to the next. Plus, the variety offered was amazing.

Where we are now, it's Pulbix, Winn-Dixie, Sprouts (15 minutes away if no traffic) and an organic grocer (not a chain) that is VERY expensive and I don't shop there. Aldi's is 30 minutes plus away and Walmart (but rarely buy anything but boxed items). Costco is 30 minutes plus and a nightmare to get to.

Kroger has just begun home delivery ONLY and the feedback from those in our community who use it has been a huge thumbs up. Many had a Kroger where they used to live so are thrilled with this option. Being honest, we're not impressed with Publix. There have been issues in their store with spoiled meat and produce; their selection of meat is limited to mainly theirs (and not a huge variety to choose from either). We miss the huge variety of all the shops we once had as do many who have moved to our community. There has been petitions sent to specific stores by residents for years (Trader Joes, for example) to come to our area but they claim there isn't enough foot traffic to support it. You can drive to one in Tampa if you wish but I'm not driving an hour plus away for a few items.

We saw this play out with Giant and Food Lion back MD years back. We lost our Food Lion (which MANY loved) and saw a Weiss go in (something to do with how many miles Giant and Food Lion where from each other and anti-trust laws (?) and where we once had GREAT customer service, easy to find products and very reasonable prices it became HORRIBLE customer service, OOS or difficult to find products and prices as high as GIant/Safeway. They lost enough customers that the store (I have learned) shut down and nothing is there. Same thing happened with HEB or some grocery store that had a commercial with dancing flowers and people and grocery carts and was something special and....no clue but it didn't last long, lol.

Agree 100% that you NEED competition; a monopoly is only good for 1 group: the shareholders.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Can't the federal government nix this for creating a monopoly?  Anti-trust laws kicking in.  I don't think it's going to save us money in So. Calif.

@Another new name Sue   @On It 

Article in USAtoday about the merger and what it would mean to consumers.

If link doesn't work, you can read it there.  

Kroger-Albertsons merger: What does deal mean for grocery shoppers? (usatoday.com)

Honored Contributor

@fingerlakesny wrote:

Are these southern or western stores? We don't have them in western NY. Our main stores are Wegmans, Tops and of course, Wal-Mart. In the city, there are Trader Joes and Whole Foods. They are over an hour from my town, so I stick with Wegmans.

Yes, Western NY is fairly immune from the effects of this merger.  Wegmans and Tops do a pretty good job there of keeping each other honest.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

This is NOT a done deal.

This still has to have both regulatory and shareholder approval to finalize this purchase.   

Yes, good point.  Shareholders will probably approve but will regulators?  Who knows.  At a minimum, they will force Krogers - Albertson's to sell stores in areas where, between them, they control the market.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It 

What happened in our city in Texas is national grocery chains started to move in---Kroger's, Albertson's---this was in addition to Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy.......Well HEB didnt like what was happening so they developed a plan----they undercut their competitor's prices and took a loss for awhile----but their plan worked----Piggly Wiggly and Handy Andy closed their doors for good-----Krogers and Albertson's couldnt handle it and left our city.....Leaving HEB as the KING OF THE HILL-

---Oh yes we still have Trader Joes, Sam's, Super Target, Natural Foods, Whole Foods, Sprouts----all VERY MINOR players....."Mighty" Walmart tried to challenge HEB but failed (especially in the produce and meat area).....So HEB remains THE KING and in charge of the GROCERY game--Costco is very popular but still no where near HEB. 

• They control prices----more interesting strategy---if HEB has a store located where theres no minor competitors they will charge higher prices----but if there's a minor competitor nearby they will lower their prices in order to beat the competition...so you better beware of which HEB you shop at for the best price....

Now saying all that HEB does contribute heavily to the community, they treat their employees well, they have good wages and benefits......but we may not be paying the lowest price.....They are getting more and more national recognition.....

DUNNHUMBY –January 13,2022---Texas’ beloved grocer H-E-B has once again been named among the best grocers in the country.

A report from Dunnhumby lists H-E-B at No. 2, beat out only by Amazon. Other area retailers like Trader Joe’s, Costco, Sam’s Club, Walmart and Target also made the list.

According to the report, “H-E-B maintained its spot at number two, continuing to display its strategic superiority over the competition by holding its ground on its traditionally strong balance of great Price perception and great Quality perception.”

Capture.PNG

H-E-B ranks as the best online grocer in the U.S., beating retail giants Amazon, Amazon Fresh, Walmart, and Walmart-owned Sam's Club to claim the top spot.Jul 5, 2022

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”