Respected Contributor

Kohl's Sonoma 3-Wick Candle Recall, Nov 10 2020

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/Kohls-Recalls-Three-Wick-SONOMA-Goods-For-Life-Branded-Candles-Due...

From the CPSC page:

Name of product: SONOMA Goods For Life branded three-wick candles

Hazard: The candle’s high flames can ignite the surface of the wax or cause the glass to break, posing fire and burn hazards.  

Remedy: Refund
Recall date: November 10, 2020
Units: About 512,000

Sold At: Kohl’s stores nationwide and online at [the Kohl's website] from December 2019 through October 2020 for about $20. 

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled candles and return them to the nearest Kohl’s store.  Consumers with a receipt will receive a full refund and consumers without a receipt will receive a store credit.

Incidents/Injuries: Kohl’s has received 29 reports involving high flames and/or breaking glass containers with the three-wick candles, including five incidents resulting in minor burn injuries and six incidents involving minor property damage including burn marks on furniture, carpet, and/or countertops.
-----------
On the recall page you'll find a table of 30 candles, including the line, fragrance, UPC, and date code, info that should be on the bottom of the candle.
Honored Contributor

Re: Kohl's Sonoma 3-Wick Candle Recall, Nov 10 2020

Kohls also sells a lot of slatkin candles. Around this time every year I'm on the hunt for a few really nice great smelling candles for the holiday season but slatkin and the ones at BBW nowadays just absolutely stink - and not in any good ways.

It's virtually impossible to find greatly fragranced candles anymore. BBW used to have the best I thought but they did away with what they used to sell. Now they all either have no scent, or they all smell the same, more so all just stink. It's very disappointing.

Respected Contributor

Yikes, I love Sonoma candles so thanks for the notice. I’ve never had any from this particular line and I’ve never had any problems, but will be extra vigilant.  I don’t burn candles very often but this is the time of year I’m most inclined to. 

Respected Contributor

Wow, this happened to me about a month ago with a Kohl's candle. I took a shower and when I walked into the living room there were flames about three inches above the top of the candle. Luckily I was burning it in a metal candle holder. I only wanted to get it out of my house so I opened the slider in the kitchen, grabbed pot holders, carefully picked up the holder and threw the candle into a dirt flower bed where it extinguished itsef. I was not injured and the metal holder was just fine. It was pretty scarey.

Super Contributor

Thank you for sharing this @noodleann .  I have one of the recalled candles.  My errands will take me near the store on Saturday so I'll be able to return it.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

Don't think I have this one but I do keep multi wick around for power outages.  Never considered fire before.  Makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

As much as I love burning candles I seldom do anymore.  Once in awhile if I can stay right in the area I have it lit.  Battery candles are not the same but they serve a purpose and I have grown to like them as they are also  much safer.  I actually had this experience with a Yankee candle years ago.  The glass literally cracked and I was vacumning when I suddenly smelled smoke.  I turned around to see my coffee table on fire!   In a panic I immediately grabbed the throw off my couch and threw it over the table, picked it up and threw the table outside onto the walkway........I nearly had a stroke!

Ever since then my hubby really would rather I didn't have lit candles in the house.

So please be mindful ladies as there was no "recall" on mine, I just learned the hard way.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

As much as I love burning candles I seldom do anymore.  Once in awhile if I can stay right in the area I have it lit.  Battery candles are not the same but they serve a purpose and I have grown to like them as they are also  much safer.  I actually had this experience with a Yankee candle years ago.  The glass literally cracked and I was vacumning when I suddenly smelled smoke.  I turned around to see my coffee table on fire!   In a panic I immediately grabbed the throw off my couch and threw it over the table, picked it up and threw the table outside onto the walkway........I nearly had a stroke!

Ever since then my hubby really would rather I didn't have lit candles in the house.

So please be mindful ladies as there was no "recall" on mine, I just learned the hard way.

A neighbor of mine, long ago, had a candle burning on his glass coffee table. I think it burned down too far and got very hot, or else the container broke, but the thick glass table shattered as a result. That put out the candle, so no fire, but what a mess.

Another candle incident with later neighbors didn't end as well. The young son was home, studying in his room, and left a candle burning on his bed and went down to supper. Long story short, the entire home burned down. No one was hurt, but the house was a total loss.

Things like this make the battery-operated candles seem the wisest choice. Some of them are even scented.