Respected Contributor

Knitting Continental or English method?

I recently started knitting again  and never knew I knitted used the English method -- yarn held in right hand for tension and throwing it over.   But now I think I want to learn the continental method yarn in left hand for tension.   any knitters have any preferences? or tips? the continental method seems more like crochet in working the stitches.

also we have a hobby lobby where I live and I've read a lot of reviews that say their house brand yarns are poor quality.   Any thoughts?   I was only there once and the yarn seemed overpriced?  I prefer lion brand yarn.

Respected Contributor

Re: Knitting Continental or English method?

Lovescats...

This is interesting...

I never knew there were two seperate methods.  That being said, I am a "Continental method knitter".  Yes, when I crochet it is the same...Left hand tension.

Sorry, I can not answer the "Hobby Lobby" yarn question...Have never used their house brand.

Respected Contributor

I have knit for many years and am a picker withe yarn held in the right hand . I think switching from one style to another would be challenging.

i only buy yarn from my local yarn shop which carries more expensive and high quality yarn. You can go to Ravelry for patterns and yarn products...I am fortunate to have a large selection close by.

have fun

Trusted Contributor

English method for me.  I've never been in a Hobby Lobby store.

Respected Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Lovescats...

This is interesting...

I never knew there were two seperate methods.  That being said, I am a "Continental method knitter".  Yes, when I crochet it is the same...Left hand tension.

Sorry, I can not answer the "Hobby Lobby" yarn question...Have never used their house brand.

I think this is why it took me so long to learn how to crochet because I was going from using the right hand in knitting to the left for crochet.  I've looked at some youtube videos and it does seem to be a better method once you learn it.

Honored Contributor

I knit the English way. Continental is more efficient, but I learned English and trying Continental was difficult for me.

I won't shop at Hobby Lobby, so I can't speak to their yarns. KnitPicks makes excellent yarns at decent prices. I like some of the Lion novelty brands, but they don't make a lot of natural fibers. KnitPicks sells a lot of natural fibers. If I'm knitting for charity, I do use more Lion brand yarns. I knit for the Red Scarves project and the scarves go to college kids who had been in foster care and don't have a family or support system to help them through college. College kids aren't going to hand wash a scarf. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Continental in that I hold yarn in my left hand, but my actual "method" is Eastern Uncrossed.  

Respected Contributor

Who knits! I learn things from perusing these posts. This is interesting to me! I don't know anyone who knits. My mother is 90, and she has never knitted, either. I bought some beautiful hand-knitted sweaters in Oslo and treasure them. How wonderful to know the craft isn't dead. What are you knitting? 

Trusted Contributor

knitting fight club.jpg

Regular Contributor

Continental is much much faster than the American (or English) method, and less tiring on the "throwing" or right hand.  And since I also crochet it seems more natural to me.

As to the yarns; I shop Michaels/JoAnns/HobbyLobby when I'm doing a baby shower gift for someone I know will not have or take the time to handwash the item; or specifically when I'd doing a carseat blanket or nappy blankie (they get dragged everywhere!).  I shop my LYS or JimmyBeansWool dot com, or PatternWorks dot com when I'm doing an heirloom christening outfit, or a project for someone I know will appreciate the gift.

If you want a great machine washable locally available yarn, look for "sock yarn" on the label (Berroco is a good one, about $14 a skien of 447 yards).  It's washable wool and has a great hand and a lovely sheen.  It's classed as a "1" or "2" so you'll probably have to downsize to a 3 or 4 needle...but it's worth it!