Esteemed Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

I'm giving you "hearts" for the title alone!

... and I'm giving her one for her marvelous description  of Rick ... it's beautiful!   I can just see the whole scenario with his antics, thanks to her mar-ve-lous narration.

Respected Contributor

I'm going out west to pan for resin!  Anyone else want to join me?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Klondike Resin Rush!

[ Edited ]

I sold all my QVC gold pieces when gold peaked at an astronomical price several years ago ... I made more from  two sales than I ever paid for all the bangles, necklaces and rings I foolishly bought over the years. 

The only pieces I kept were several pairs of clip-on earrings (that Kathy Levin featured  in her Gold Rush shows over the years).

Trusted Contributor

@SoX wrote:

I sold all my QVC gold pieces when gold peaked at an astronomical price several years ago ... I made more from  two sales than I ever paid for all the bangles, necklaces and rings I foolishly bought over the years. 

The only pieces I kept were several pairs of clip-on earrings (that Kathy Levin featured  in her Gold Rush shows over the years)

@SoX I sold all mine in 2013. I bought all my heavy gold when prices were so low on gold. Made a killing selling it all. Never wore it, kept the pieces I wanted....yes I spent foolishly also like you. Most of it I bought off of Value Vision( aka ShopNBC, Evine live) 

Honored Contributor

I didn't even tune in, but by all the commentary here I can tell nothing has changed.  

Love the resin jokes!! rolling on the floor

And the Rick antics report!!rolling on the floor

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

If I didn't already own more everyday gold than I can ever wear, I'd buy resin-filled gold jewelry.

According to everything I'm reading on the commodity market, gold doesn't seem to be going any place up soon, so I'd buy jewelry to wear not as an investment.  Whatever money I save by buying the resin-filled, I can invest.  My heirs will be just as happy as if they had a bit of gold to sell.  The days when "real" gold made much finanical difference are over for me.

Even when gold was at its peak, I really made no money on ehat I sold -- if the money I'd spent buying gold jewelry has actally been invested elsewhere, it would have increased in value more than my gold did. 

I can think of two reasons to buy real gold.  The first is that if you're a person who buys trendy items and wants to sell them for whatever and then buy other jewelry, you'll do better with solid gold --just not by very much right now.  The second reason is just plain snob appeal -  to be able to brag.  My friends would laugh at me, not be impressed.

Some buy gold to pass on to their children. 

I also made a nice profit when I sold my jewelry. There were a lot of informative threads on selling gold. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of the pieces I saw were 14K with no resin. 

Following the long recession, the Q is finally progressing to more and more items that are all 14K and they had some 18K this year, though I prefer that in earrings.  18K is a bit fragile and dent-prone to use in a bracelet.  I bought three items, one a gift, and feel I did well to buy these at a good price. 

ETA a second thought:  I've been posting here a long time and shopping at QVC for even longer.  Every single gold event, in good gold times and bad, has brought a chorus of complaints about the cost and quality of the merchandise.

We didn't know what we had when we had it in the early 2000s.  (I too made much more money for the gold items I sold c. 2008-10 than I ever paid for them, so I profited even by my discards.)

I still have many older items but I like new once in a while.  I always look and shop at these events, though I don't always buy as I did this year.  I only need to like one or two things, not everything, so the resin items don't tempt me.  They may be a good investment, though, for people who are hard on their jewelry.  I just like the feeling that it is real gold, even if it is a small piece.  The OTO turquoise charm earrings I bought were $89.00.  That is a very fair price, and like last year's similar earring, the hoop can fit other kinds of beads.  I have jade beads in different colors I will wear with the hoops--if they aren't too heavy for my ears.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Most of the pieces I saw were 14K with no resin. 

Following the long recession, the Q is finally progressing to more and more items that are all 14K and they had some 18K this year, though I prefer that in earrings.  18K is a bit fragile and dent-prone to use in a bracelet.  I bought three items, one a gift and feel I did well to buy these at a good price

Good for you! It's fun to finally buy new jewelry, isn't it? I saw a few really nice pieces, too and fattened up my already pretty full wish list.

I, for one, am not a snob about precious metals; I have a huge collection of "junk" fashion jewelry from places like Forever 21 and Kohls that I love. And, I'm glad that the Q is increasing it's inventory of the real deal.

What I think the OP was objecting to is the lack of full-disclosure by the host about the construction and materials used in the item she mentioned. If you go to the product's page it does say that it's resin-filled, but you'd have to do due-diligence to find that out.

Also, while they have to sell, I, for one, think its disingenuous for a host to say (and I can point to two that have said just this) that a resin-filled, electroform piece is "better than" a piece that's solid 14K--lighter, more comfortable to wear, less prone to denting. I have several solid 14K bangles that have no dents whatsoever even after wearing for more more than 20 years and find my solid 32 grams of 18K rope necklace quite comfortable!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

The only pieces I kept were several pairs of clip-on earrings (that Kathy Levin featured  in her Gold Rush shows over the years)

@SoX I sold all mine in 2013. I bought all my heavy gold when prices were so low on gold. Made a killing selling it all. Never wore it, kept the pieces I wanted....yes I spent foolishly also like you. Most of it I bought off of Value Vision( aka ShopNBC, Evine live) 

@June222

CVN was the precursor to ValueVision ... I purchased a couple of really, really, great sterling silver/turquoise pieces from them.  Sterling silver was, and still is, my first love.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, many made money when we sold our gold jewelry.  This resin jewelry line is the worst idea ever , ripe for fraud since it's not marked.  Secondary owners, gold buyers and the recipients who don't know are the losers. Besides, its not sizable or repairable.