Respected Contributor

Klondike Resin Rush!

[ Edited ]

I may be behind the times, but I always thought 100% gold items were more desirable than resin covered items.  I noticed that they have a new line of resin covered "gold" that isn't Oro Nuovo.  They just call it 14k gold!  Rick spent 10 minutes extolling the wonders of one of these new resin items--a bangle bracelet (J53438)-- like it came straight from Heaven.

For 10 minutes, I watched while he shouted, jumped up and down, waved his arms, banged the bangle on the table, and referred to the inside of the bangle as a scrumptious flakey baked good.  I kept waiting for him to say "resin," but he never did.  He mentioned that the bracelet was "flying out the door."  I wonder how many buyers got burned!   I called Customer Service to check and yes, it was resin filled. 

He reminded me of a used car salesman. I'll never trust him again.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm giving you "hearts" for the title alone!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

Maybe it is just that I do not buy gold, I prefer silver, but I do not believe I have ever seen resin filled gold in any retial store or being advertized in any of the catalogs or sites I shop on.

Esteemed Contributor

It's "diamond dust resin" which is a more "Madison Avenue, ladies-who-lunch, as only the Italians can make it", version of poly-goop. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

I'm grateful that I'm old enough to have had the opportunity to buy real, solid, 14k gold when it was available at reasonable and affordable prices. When I saw the prices of the TSV bracelets and necklace the other day, I was thrilled that I already had a much thicker and showy Byzantine bracelet and necklace for less than half the price of QVC's self-professed special price.

Respected Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

Maybe it is just that I do not buy gold, I prefer silver, but I do not believe I have ever seen resin filled gold in any retial store or being advertized in any of the catalogs or sites I shop on.

I don't know if it has to be marked or not.  QVC doesn't mark their resin- or silicone-filled pieces.  This means that we won't really know if we're getting real gold now.  I think it should be the law that it has to be marked!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Klondike Resin Rush!

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes.  That great Resin Strike of the 2000's.  History books are rife with the heart-warming, sometimes heart-wrenching stories of how our anscestors trekked cross-country,enduring all manner of obstacles seeking the wealth resin could bring.  "There's resin in them thar hills!"  was the cry that rang out from border to border.  For some it was a time of great excitement; for others, pure disappointment.

No one was immune to Resin Fever.

Respected Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

Macy's has resin filled gold labeled "Signature Gold." I purchased a gold omega recently that was NOT marked that it was resin filled. My jeweler told me it was not solid.

I think Buyer Beware is more important than ever. At least QVC let's us know what they are selling whereas some retailers don't. Ebay is also a place to be exceptionally careful for resin filled gold.

Honored Contributor

If I didn't already own more everyday gold than I can ever wear, I'd buy resin-filled gold jewelry.

According to everything I'm reading on the commodity market, gold doesn't seem to be going any place up soon, so I'd buy jewelry to wear not as an investment.  Whatever money I save by buying the resin-filled, I can invest.  My heirs will be just as happy as if they had a bit of gold to sell.  The days when "real" gold made much finanical difference are over for me.

Even when gold was at its peak, I really made no money on ehat I sold -- if the money I'd spent buying gold jewelry has actally been invested elsewhere, it would have increased in value more than my gold did. 

I can think of two reasons to buy real gold.  The first is that if you're a person who buys trendy items and wants to sell them for whatever and then buy other jewelry, you'll do better with solid gold --just not by very much right now.  The second reason is just plain snob appeal -  to be able to brag.  My friends would laugh at me, not be impressed.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

If I didn't already own more everyday gold than I can ever wear, I'd buy resin-filled gold jewelry.

According to everything I'm reading on the commodity market, gold doesn't seem to be going any place up soon, so I'd buy jewelry to wear not as an investment.  Whatever money I save by buying the resin-filled, I can invest.  My heirs will be just as happy as if they had a bit of gold to sell.  The days when "real" gold made much finanical difference are over for me.

Even when gold was at its peak, I really made no money on ehat I sold -- if the money I'd spent buying gold jewelry has actally been invested elsewhere, it would have increased in value more than my gold did. 

I can think of two reasons to buy real gold.  The first is that if you're a person who buys trendy items and wants to sell them for whatever and then buy other jewelry, you'll do better with solid gold --just not by very much right now.  The second reason is just plain snob appeal -  to be able to brag.  My friends would laugh at me, not be impressed.

I buy real gold because I am allergic to base metals. If I wear costume jewelry my neck turns green. Same with rings...platinum or gold. No snob appeal here.