Super Contributor

Kirstie Alley, Tim Gunn and vanity sizing

Kirstie Alley says she's a size 4, Tim Gunn says no way. He claims it's vanity sizing.
**********From US Weekly************************
Celebrity News September 17, 2011 AT 6:59PM
/> <span class=Credit: Jemal Countess/Getty Images; Mike Coppola/Getty Images

When Kirstie Alley revealed in an Entertainment Tonight clip that she has lost 100 pounds since being on Dancing with the Stars and is down to a size 4, Tim Gunn raised a perfectly groomed, silver eyebrow.

In an interview with Tampa radio station 98.7 FM, the Project Runway star shed some light on the actress' size claim saying, "There is a phenomenon out there right now that I call the lying deceptive shell game of vanity sizing. In fact a 4 is really a 6 or an 8."

The chief creative director for Liz Claiborne explained his theory, which was based on an experiment he did at Parsons.

"We took a size 8 dress from 1980 one from 1990 and one from 2000 and compared them -- the difference between them was two and a half inches in the waist alone!" said Gunn.

As for Alley's true size, the fashion guru guesses that she's between a size 8 and a 10.

"But she looks fabulous," he added. "People are too size conscious."

Regardless of Gunn's comments, Alley seems to be in a good place.

"I feel like I'm back in my element," the 60-year-old actress said in her ET interview. "I honestly didn't even realize what I looked likeOn Tuesday, Alley strutted her banging body on the Zang Toi catwalk in NYC. Clad in an elegant-yet-dramatic royal blue, rhinestone-adorned gown, she wowed the audience as she closed her designer pal's Spring 2012 show.

<!-- #article-body -->