Honored Contributor

Re: King size bed-sooo much work

I agree.   Wait until you have to turn the mattress!   (I rotate the mattress twice a year when I change the clocks.)

A double bed is about all I can handle.

https://www.mattressclarity.com/blog/how-often-should-you-rotate-or-flip-your-mattress/

Respected Contributor

Got a king for the first time when my son was born 16 years ago. Don't like them for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I've told my hubby that the next time we replace our mattress, we're going back down to a queen and replacing our headboard.

Honored Contributor

My mattress doesn't rotate.  I specifically got the kind that you didn't have to do that with.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@froggy wrote:

If you think a king bed is a lot of trouble you should try making up a Sleep Number split king bed! But, yes, it is worth it. I could never go back to a smaller bed.

@froggy

LOL!!! We have a sleep # but not the split. I could not imagine having to climb all over the bed to put the sheets on it.

Must be a real pain in the rear. I don't know how you would get the separate fitted sheets on there. 

I make my bed every morning & pull the fitted sheet tight & tuck back in. I want my bed nice & neat like it is after I wash it when I get in it to sleep every night.

@Nightowlz

If you like your fitted sheet tucked nice and tight then don't ever get the split! I DO have to crawl all over the bed and all I can do with the fitted sheet is push it as far down as I can. It was a huge pain until I worked out my system - if I position each side to Zero-G then it's fairly easy to get the fitted sheets on. The comfort is worth it though - my husband and I like different sleep #;s and different positions for head and fet.

Esteemed Contributor

@petepetey

I have a Queen Size bed - I'm a small, older female. I buy Northern Nights Wrinkle-Defense sheetsets from the Q - they're oversized - and soooo easy to make the bed plus they feel so nice on the skin. I live in southern Calif - it gets cold at night - but not the same as living in the mid-west or other areas. I use light-weight blankets - can't stand heavy ones. That should help u in making the bed.

Honored Contributor

my parents had a huge king size bed for years. as they aged and my dad became an invalid. they went to 2 queen size beds for bedroom. their bedroom was huge.

I know my mom did say a few times how much work it was trying to make up that king size bed.

Respected Contributor

OMG !  I do not like our king size bed at all - for the same reasons the original posted presented !  I've begged DH to lets get a queen sized bed instead - more room to walk in the bedroom also....and that sheet changing !  grrrr

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You sound just like my mother did over 40 years ago when I got married and got a king size bed, she was against it, but my DH insisted on it. Not one regret all these years, wonderful investment. I know so many with queens and they would love to have a king!!  We even insist on a king in a hotel, once you get used to it, you cant go back to anything else And when you have an oversized bedroom, it really helps to fill out the room, and make it look so much nicer

Valued Contributor

Yes. I got tired of fighting with the bedskirt, so I just got one of those elastic ones that don't go in between the box springs and mattress. Genius.

Respected Contributor

We have the split king adjustable bed....BEST purchase EVER!!!  Now when I want to get a new mattress for myself I can do that on my time frame and what I need and like best.  No more waiting for the Hubby to finally cave in to my requests 16yrs later!  

As for laundry of the large bedding items...yep that is a big issue for me.  So my plan is to have 2 twin XL blankets when I find them.  We have one large one now from Costco...it's that thinner fleece stuff that I can get in my very large washer and dryer.  I did buy a heavier thicker blanket awhile back for last winter and it won't fit and I am not going to the laundry mat weekly for that.  So buy 2 separate blankets that can go in the washer is my suggestion as sheets are gonna fit and be easy.