Valued Contributor

Re: King size bed-sooo much work

If you feel that way about a kingsize bed, never buy a kingsize split bed, unless you have a large bedroom.  I have a desk right next to one side of the bed and a table right next to the other side of the bed.  Not only do I have to pull the frame of the bed apart to separate and get to the middle of the king beds to put on mattress pads and fitted sheets, but having to reach the corners of the king mattress that has furniture right next to it to put on the fitted corners of bedding is really difficult.  I feel like I get bruises on my legs and arms everytime I make this bed.  I do love that I can raise and lower my side of the bed though.

Respected Contributor

I will never willingly give up my king size bed, at least as long as I'm sharing it with my husband! We both like our space for sleeping, and I tend to move around a lot...he never notices my tossing & turning since we got a king size. I will say he does help with the sheets when they need to be changed, so it's not a real hardship. I also buy my sheets/bedding on sale so the prices aren't too bad. My washer will fit a king size comforter as long as it's not too thick, so that's not a problem, either.

Respected Contributor

I love my king size bed. Bedding cost a little more but it's worth it to have all that space to stretch out in. My washer is big enough for the bedding.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve had a King for decades.  I don’t see a big difference.  We have a large bedroom so size is not an issue.  When we built our home, we designed the windows in our bedroom to work around a king sized bed.  Love my bedroom lol.  I could spend all day in there.  If I put a coffee pot in, you’d never see me😃.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not at all. 

I’m not washing them by pounding them against a rock at the creek. Take them off, put them in the washer and dryer. That isn’t a big deal. 

To put sheets on all sized beds, it requires walking back and forth around  the bed multiple times to get it made.  So no bigger deal there. 

The sheets I buy are the same price for all sizes. 

So that’s a no from me.  King is no more trouble than any other bed. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I would never give up my king size bed nor would my husband..

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Ditto! I'm spoiled to a King-size bed. One of life's little luxuries, I suppose....

Trusted Contributor

@saltysailsYou hit the nail on the head!!  We too have the electric beds and they are a real PIA when it comes to changing the sheets.  The ability to raise and lower the head and foot is worth the extra effort, to say nothing of the massage feature which I do love.  Would I deal with this if I were alone, NO!  But then I wouldn't need all that room.  Then I would get an electric queen size.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you.

I'm a widow with only 2 small cats who sometimes sleep with me.

As soon as I get a chance, I'm downsizing.   I'd rather have the real estate.

I love clean sheets and I hang mine out to dry.

I dread laundry day.   The sheets are so big, I have to be sure I bundle them up carefully when I carry them to be sure I'm not dragging anything that can trip me up.

I don't use a bedspread, per se, I use a lightweight quilt on top.    I would wash the quilt more often if it was queen size rather than king.

I don't have a headboard and every time I think about getting one, I will remember your experience.   I don't need one that badly.   No one sees my bedroom.

@petepetey wrote:

I love having the space to stretch out on a king size bed, but beyond that....

All the bedding is more expensive, harder to wash and harder to put on the bed.

Last week we bought a new headboard for our bed. We had it delivered, to the garage. We had to unpack it, haul it upstairs and install it. Oh boy that was a major workout.

Does anyone else feel that a king size bed might not be worth the work involved?

Honored Contributor

Before I got my Speed Queen washer and dryer, the sheets did take forever to dry and I could only fit the sheets and pillow cases in the washer, nothing else.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN