Honored Contributor

Re: King Charles III Official Portrait Released by Buckingham Palace

@gertrudecloset    Time to update your definition.  Portrait photography has been around since the camera was invented.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely. 

The word "portrait" may most definitely include a photograph. That's even in the "dictionary" definition.   

(It appears to me that in this portrait he's on the lookout for errant pens dispensing unwanted ink.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    Time to update your definition.  Portrait photography has been around since the camera was invented.

OK, you are correct @Kachina624 and @Johnnyeager .

Thank you for the clarification.  I thought only a pic snapped with a camera.  I consider portraits to be fine art, but what do I know? I was obviously wrong.  Thank you.

Here is what made me the first statement to begin with:

portrait

English

Alternative forms

* pourtraict (obsolete)

Noun

(en noun)
  • A painting or other picture of a person, especially the head and shoulders.
  • * Sir J. Reynolds
In portraits , the grace, and, we may add, the likeness, consists more in the general air than in the exact similitude of every feature.
  • (figuratively) An accurate depiction of a person, a mood, etc.
The author painted a good portrait of urban life in New York in his latest book.
  • (computing, printing) A print orientation where the vertical sides are longer than the horizontal sides.

Related terms

* portray

Antonyms

* (print mode or selection) landscape * (print mode or selection) profile

Verb

(en verb)
  • (obsolete) To portray; to draw.
(Spenser)

Adjective

(-)
  • Representing the actual features of an individual; not ideal.
a portrait''' bust; a '''portrait statue

photograph

English

Noun

(en noun)
  • A picture created by projecting an image onto a photosensitive surface such as a chemically treated plate or film, CCD receptor, etc.
  • * {{quote-magazine, date=2012-03
, author= , title=Pixels or Perish , volume=100, issue=2, page=106 , magazine= citation , passage=Drawings and pictures are more than mere ornaments in scientific discourse. Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs , MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story.}}

Derived terms

* photo * photographic * photography * photographer

External links

* (wikipedia)

Verb

(en verb)
  • To take a photograph of.
  • * Hamerton
He makes his pen drawing on white paper, and they are afterwards photographed on wood.
  • * Lady D. Hardy
He is photographed on my mind.
  • To take photographs.
  • To appear in a photograph.
She photographs well. The camera ''loves'' her.

Thanks!!!!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 8.27.33 PM.png

Why is he sitting so low? It looks as if he could be kneeling behind that table. (I know he's really not.)

Edited to add: Maybe he's just leaning forward? That might be it.

From what I've learned about composition and visual communication etc, in my unqualified opinion, the imagery seems to be communicating a sense of remove and distance from the viewer, with the corner of the table prominent in the foreground and Charles pointedly looking at his official red box instead of the camera. The camera position seems a little confusing. Low but not from the floor.

It's a flattering angle on his face though. Good lighting as well. And I agree with others that he looks more like his dad here.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

They used the wrong photograph.  He looks like a very short man, and the desk is too high for him to work properly.  Or they couldn't afford a desk the right height for him .....  gee, at least make it look like he's sitting taller behind the desk!  

@Danky2 

Uh, more attractive?  No.  I never thought he was a particularly good looking man, not even when younger.  Either that, or he just photographs poorly.  Maybe he looks better in person?     

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky2 wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks that he has gotten more attractive the older he gets ?

Never, ever found anything attractive about Charles...

Honored Contributor

I just read that this picture was taken on Sept 11th, three days after Queen Elizabeth passed away.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like it very much--  completely agree with the posters who say they are transmitting a message of reassuring continuity, the work is going on, without skipping a beat...

It doesn't look like a fake pose, they made it look like he was caught mid-gesture, rummaging around for some official paper or other.

The candid aspect of it appeals to me-- reminds me of photos of my Dad at work at his (less fancy) desk...

I agree @Oznell  they want to reassure the public. They are there and working.  I think it's a nice depiction

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Porcelain 

They used the wrong photograph.  He looks like a very short man, and the desk is too high for him to work properly.  Or they couldn't afford a desk the right height for him .....  gee, at least make it look like he's sitting taller behind the desk!  

@Danky2 

Uh, more attractive?  No.  I never thought he was a particularly good looking man, not even when younger.  Either that, or he just photographs poorly.  Maybe he looks better in person?     

Neither did I but, I must admit, I have never paid any attention to him one way or the other. When I saw him in a few photos(sorry Gertrudecloset) from the funeral, I thought

not the worst looking guy ,in his 70s,that i have ever seen........please believe me when I tell you, by the time I finish writing this, he will not be in my thoughts AT ALL.......

guy I have ever seen. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think he's bad looking, but I do think he looks older than 73.