Super Contributor

Re: Kindle Users: Did you at one point think you could never read on an E-reader? And preferred a 'real' book?

I started reading regularly again when I got my first Nook - then went on to kindle and now I use my mini ipad. I love reading this way. Have only read one real book since I started e-reading - so much more convenient when traveling too! Oh, and I love the fact that I can get a sample of a book to try before I buy!

Valued Contributor

Re: Kindle Users: Did you at one point think you could never read on an E-reader? And preferred a 'real' book?

Hi SAgirl-

I think I would LOVE being able to read samples. That's one of the perks of having a Kindle that would be perfect. Besides all the other perks!

Valued Contributor

I LOVE my kindle e-reader. It's perfect for reading novels. Same, light weight, can hold with one hand, and can take it with you anywhere.... as far as reference books, not intended for cover to cover reading, I prefer actual books.... or my Kindle Fire Tablet especially for recipes ...not that I use them as much....
Valued Contributor

Also, there are plenty of free ebooks so you'd be saving $ on books.... I LOVE books as well. My mom has an entire wall of book shelves full of books.... I used to buy a lot of them because I love a new fresh book vs a library copy held by thousands of (dirty) hands.... but now I'm spending more money on other stuff (like leather purses and jewelrySmiley Happy) so I get to spend less on books.... and I save space at home too.... imagine carrying a Gone with the Wind or a Harry Potter book with you vs a kindle?? As much as I LOVE books, I got used to the kindle and love it too. The only little thing I notice, though, sometimes if I take breaks between my readings, I have to remind myself which book I'm currently reading since there is no way you can "judge the book by its cover" on a kindle Smiley Wink
Valued Contributor

Thank u, tough kitty.Smiley Happy love your user name, btw.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a book I wanted to read. I checked my online library site, the book was available and now it's here waiting for me. I love the instant gratification. It's easier on my arthritic books to hold onto as well.

Valued Contributor

On 8/20/2014 tansy said:

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a book I wanted to read. I checked my online library site, the book was available and now it's here waiting for me. I love the instant gratification. It's easier on my arthritic books to hold onto as well.

The instant grat is what I keep reading and hearing and I know that will be a biggie for me when/if I purchase one. I just keep piling books into this little house...{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Valued Contributor

Just wanted to share why I love my Kindle so much. I rarely read paper books anymore, I will if it's something I can't find on Kindle (which is rare) but holding a book is very uncomfortable for me.

I have several Kindles (not the Fire, just the book reader). I love my Kindle keyboard because it has the text to speech function and audiobook capability. If my eyes are too tired to read this comes in very handy. It's also 3G so if I'm going to travel, this is the one I would take since my others are Wi-Fi only.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite because during the day the lighting in my home isn't the greatest and I really don't want to turn on the lamp just to read so my Paperwhite is perfect. I have it on a low lamp setting so that my eyes don't get fatigued like they do when I'm on the computer. I also love that it tells you how much time you have left to finish a chapter or how many hours long the book is. I like that you can visually see how many pages are left till the next chapter by flipping through and not losing your place. This is a new feature with the Paperwhite. The dictionary feature is great and with the Paperwhite, it adds the words you've looked up into a vocabulary builder so that you can test yourself later.

My favorite Kindle is the simple basic $69 model because it's so light. This is the one I read on every night when I do my heaviest reading. It's also the one I throw in my bag when going to appointments because it adds no extra weight. I have issues with my hands and wrist as a result of working on the computer all day so this is my most comfortable Kindle. I also find that organizing my collections is much easier on this model.

I also have the very first Kindle, the white one that started it all. This was my first introduction to Kindle and she's sitting on the shelf. I just can't part with her just like I'm sure you can't part with some books. I just can't do it.

I don't own a Fire (yet) but I don't think I would use this to read my books. It'll be heavier, can't read it outside like the regular Kindles and I would imagine it gets hot after a while like a computer. I would use the Fire for other things, just not reading for long lengths of time.

So there you go, I am a Kindleholic and I'm not getting anymore (maybe).

Respected Contributor

I have the Kindle II. I would NEVER go back to paperbacks or hardcovers. I would accumulate books and then bring them to our village hall for donation. I don't need to do that now. It's just too convenient and lightweight.

Valued Contributor

Thanks SO much, Tsukiko. I really appreciate your review of the different versions. I love reading why you might like one version for one thing, and another for something else. This is something a non-Kindle owner needs to know!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I don't think I would get a Fire or need internet access b/c I have an iPad.

Thanks, gooday. I really am started to think more about the sheer amount of books that I (we) own. It's a lot.