Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
I believe the previous owner information would be on the paperwork in the glove compartment.?

Don't believe you have to have someone's email address to send a Facebook DM. The person probably just searched the name.

Shouldn't be any personal info left in a car when you turn it in. But maybe op left insurance or registration paper work in there.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I think your husband is being nice and I don't see anything wrong with it.  He probably got the info out of the glove compartment or online.

I hardly think giving maintenance information or the age of tires on a previous car is disclosing personal information and I wouldn't be suspicious of it.  After all, you can get someone's address all the time online. 

Not everyone is out to scam people.  However, if the conversation started asking about personal info, then I wouldn't offer the info, but offering vehicle maintenance information to the new owner seems fine to me. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I think it depends upon the rules and regulations of the individual states. I think the OP would have to call the dealership and ask them why that was made available. And call her state govt if necessary.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Kinda Weird

[ Edited ]

I would be upset with the dealership.  How did this person get your contact info?  I would not have answered any of his questions and referred him to where he bought the car.  They should have all the info he needed.  The age of the car?  Didn't he know that before he bought it?????  No way would I have answered any questions from a stranger.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @He could have obtained this information from Car Fax. It was nice of your husband to help the new owner.

Honored Contributor

The previous owner is easy to find since titles are transferred and a car's Vin number stays the same. The new owner had legitimate questions and the OP's husband was considerate in answering them.

Honored Contributor

I bought a used car through a dealership last year.  Everything went through the dealership and I had no idea who the previous owners were--until I received the title in the mail weeks later.  That had the previous owners' names and address on it.

It would have been possible to find their social media or even write them a letter since I also had their address.

It's just the way my state handles the sale of used vehicles.  Not the fault of the dealer.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I bought a used car through a dealership last year.  Everything went through the dealership and I had no idea who the previous owners were--until I received the title in the mail weeks later.  That had the previous owners' names and address on it.

It would have been possible to find their social media or even write them a letter since I also had their address.

It's just the way my state handles the sale of used vehicles.  Not the fault of the dealer.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking, in my state that information is on the title.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I can't imagine the dealership giving up that information.

Seems like it would violate privacy laws/confidentiality issues. 

Nothing is a secret in today's world though, so who knows 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would be uncomfortable with the idea that the dealership is disclosing my personal information to someone who is a stranger to me.

It was on the title.