Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of dumb question about flying

Flying between SeaTac and LAX and plan to just keep the lipstick in my purse. I also have a zip lock bag with a few Rx bottles so maybe I'll stick it in there!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Generally, you do not have to bag your lipstick.  With that said, i had lip gloss confiscated at the St. Louis airport.  When I told the person that I flew out of Philly with it, he said that Philly apparently did not have the high level of security that St. Louis did.  I think he was being a jerk just because he could be, but he was in charge.  I have not had that problem at any other airport, but just be aware.

Hey, @SXMGirl!  You could've been a real danger with that lipgloss.  You could've had men falling at your feet!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I've had lip glosses in my purse and there's never been a probem.

The bottle of wine was a problem, but not the lip gloss.  LOL

Your wine must be living it up with my maple syrup that was conviscated when flying out of Vancouver!

Valued Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I've had lip glosses in my purse and there's never been a probem.

The bottle of wine was a problem, but not the lip gloss.  LOL

LOL!

agree with all that lipstick is not a liquid.  But I too regularly put my lip gloss and mascara in my regular carry-on, NOT in the liquids bag and I have never had an issue.  I've done this for at least 30 flights. 

Honored Contributor

I always carry my lipstick in a small re-resealab sandwich storage bag, and I don't fly.  Just so I don't have to hunt around in my handbag for it. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

My entire reply disappeared.  In any case I carry one liquid... Afrin.. nasal decongestant.  I need it  and use it before I take off.  If I do not I cannot hear for a half  hour after I land.  

I check everything.  My carry on is only a small tote.  1.  ID  2.  Tickets  3.  Cell phone  4. something to read  5.  Make up in small case - non liquid   6. Small camera     7. Wallet  with credit cards and money.  Never had a problem.  

I wear little or no jewelry, and I watch what I wear in general.1.  Easy on/off shoes with socks underneath.  2. A bra that does not have underwire  3.  Plain clothes with no hardware or belts  

I sail through.  Nothing to hold me or anyone else up.  

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl - STL TSA is among the worst....
Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

My entire reply disappeared.  In any case I carry one liquid... Afrin.. nasal decongestant.  I need it  and use it before I take off.  If I do not I cannot hear for a half  hour after I land.  

I check everything.  My carry on is only a small tote.  1.  ID  2.  Tickets  3.  Cell phone  4. something to read  5.  Make up in small case - non liquid   6. Small camera     7. Wallet  with credit cards and money.  Never had a problem.  

I wear little or no jewelry, and I watch what I wear in general.1.  Easy on/off shoes with socks underneath.  2. A bra that does not have underwire  3.  Plain clothes with no hardware or belts  

I sail through.  Nothing to hold me or anyone else up.  

That is certainly the most pleasant way to go through security and get through the airport and on the plane.  Unfortunately, I have had my bags lost one too many times to risk it.  Even if I am staying long enough to check a bag, I always bring a small carryone with my make-up, an extra shirt, and extra undies/socks.