Honored Contributor

Kind of dumb question about flying

[ Edited ]

OK, here goes! I fly once a year from WA state to So. Cal. to visit my DS and his family. I know the rules about packing, etc. but for the life of me I can't recall if my lipstick needs to go in a zip lock bag to conform to the rule.

I've read the regulations a couple of times and can't figure it out. I don't want to take a chance on having it tossed at the airport. Silly, I know. Does anyone know the answer for sure?

I know I can go ahead and bag it, but I'd like to know definitely if anyone out there has the answer. Thanks for any help! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Kind of dumb question about flying

Lipstick in a tube is not liquid so it does not have to be in the bag. Have a great trip!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids You do not have to bag your lipstick. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you! I also have a Maybelline eyebrow pomade crayon I love and would hate to lose these 2 items! So I will just keep them in my purse.

Duh! Why didn't I realize these things are not liquid or gels?? Cuz I'm a worry wart! Thanks ladies Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Non-Liquid Cosmetics

Other types of non-liquid makeup, such as lipstick, powders and blushes, are allowed in your carry-on with no limits. You may also carry on solid lip balms with no restrictions; however, gel lip balms are subject to the rules for carrying on liquids. Since these items are not subject to the 3-1-1 rule, you are free to keep them organized in your cosmetics bag as you normally would.

Respected Contributor

I've had lip glosses in my purse and there's never been a probem.

The bottle of wine was a problem, but not the lip gloss.  LOL

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Shoot.......I'd rather have the wine than the lip gloss!  Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids You know, the way things change so quickly with travel regulations, no question is dumb. Better safe than sorry. Smiley Happy 

And as to the 3-1-1 (three ounces, per one person, per one quart bag) is really 3.4 ounces now. When that first came out about the 3-1-1, it really was 3 ounces. 

Honored Contributor

@bri20

@bri20 wrote:

LOL!Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Generally, you do not have to bag your lipstick.  With that said, i had lip gloss confiscated at the St. Louis airport.  When I told the person that I flew out of Philly with it, he said that Philly apparently did not have the high level of security that St. Louis did.  I think he was being a jerk just because he could be, but he was in charge.  I have not had that problem at any other airport, but just be aware.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!