Honored Contributor

Re: KimK Allows Punishment for Touching 'Elf on Shelf'

It's one thing to have a nice memory of a loving Santa Claus and quite another to have a memory of doing something so awful as touching a spying elf doll you weren't supposed to touch and being responsible for it's demise.

Honored Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

I don't know one child that grew up believing in Santa that ended up a messed up adult.  Not one.  Quite the opposite.  They recall those few precious years as magical.  There is also no reason why the true reason for Christmas cannot be part of a child's life.  That is how I was brought up, as were my children.  The advent wreath was on the table and the candles were lit every night at dinner.  As a child, we couldn't have Christmas morning until we had gone to Mass.  I didn't go that far with my kids (we went to Christmas Eve Mass).  

Sadly, Elf on the Shelf wasn't a thing when my kids were young.  We had Santa on speed dial.  Daddy made a call to Santa every few days to report on oldest son, a true stinker.  He would actually tone it down for a while, a real Christmas miracle!  If the Elf had been available to us, I probably would have hung it around his neck.  Now as an adult, he would be the first one to agree with me.  He was all boy, all the time. 

As adults, our attitude influences our children.  If we have an attitude that Christmas is a magical time, it will be for our children as well.  If we have an attitude that it is a religious time, it will be for our children.  If you take an "alternative" route, well you reap what you sow.  Kids are in the Santa/Elf stage for such a short time.  I just can't imagine taking it away from them.  It hasn't hurt the generations that have gone before us.  The only thing that has changed is that children are not held as accountable as they once were and each generation as a whole is becoming mor entitled.  If they grow up knowing they need to follow the rules or such and such will happen, it will be so much easier as the years go on.

My favorite church sign:  It is easier to build a boy than to mend a man.

@GraceLady  I beg to differ on this one.  I find this to be a blanket statement against all our young ones today.

Quite frankly, many of us raised our children to believe in the magic of Christmas, to believe in the religious part of Christmas, and to know about consequences overall in life.

As such, our grandchildren are being raised the same way.

Every generation has its warts; I don't believe young people today are any worse than young people from generations past.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

She can parent however she wants. But frankly, I always found that elf on the shelf to be weird. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I would expect something dumb like this from that clan..... and I am not a fan of the Elf thing to begin with

Respected Contributor

So many grinches on this thread! I think the Elf is amusing and I love seeing what creative displays people come up with for it. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't knock those that have fun with it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That cheesy plastic elf was hideous in the fifties and no better now. To revive it with such negativity is appalling to me.  

I thought that the holidays were about goodness, caring and kindness, not threats, spying and hatred. 

The whole elf on a shelf should cease and desist. I wouldn't consider having such a sinister thing in my home.

People don't see there is a huge problem when a child creates a grave for this ugly thing because they think their sibling killed it.   

----Just more insanity.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

That cheesy plastic elf was hideous in the fifties and no better now. To revive it with such negativity is appalling to me.  

I thought that the holidays were about goodness, caring and kindness, not threats, spying and hatred. 

The whole elf on a shelf should cease and desist. I wouldn't consider having such a sinister thing in my home.

People don't see there is a huge problem when a child creates a grave for this ugly thing because they think their sibling killed it.   

----Just more insanity.

But it's such a lovely and heartwarming Christmas story.

Honored Contributor

The age of reason in a child's world' doesn't exist before age 6. I think it is creepy to do this to a child.  If you are going to be this severe at age 3 ,over something a child can't even fathom, what will you do when they are old enough to understand what they are doing, and disobey?

I would never raise my child in a gulag type home. I would rather teach them the joy of the season than the harsh lesson doled out over some horrible toy, meant to scare a child, and give them nightmares

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now we are going to get all the OMG parents who do this Elf on the shelf are such horrible parents.  Where is the eyeroll emotie?

Kim posted that "North just brought this in".  Did she really do anything with it or did she just think it was something cute North did? 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

"There is still hope for Saint’s scout. The Elf on the Shelf page offers a bunch of simple suggestions to renew the magic, and one involves singing a Christmas carol!"

Let's hope Kim knows about that.  Smiley Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam