Honored Contributor

Re: Kim & Kanye's New Baby Girl's name

It's not just Kim and Kanye.  Years ago Don Johnson and Melanie Griffth named their daughter Dakota, now the star of those Shades of Gray films.  I don't see where Chicago is any worse than Dakota.

Honored Contributor

I believe the dislike of the name has more to do with who the parents are than the baby's name. Parents have named their kids after cities, towns and states for years.

Virginia

Augusta

Dallas

Camden

Francisco

Carolina

Paris

Montgomery

Colorado

Nevada

Phoenix

Georgia

Trenton

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pearley,

To my mind, Dakota, Savannah and other names of this pattern have a feminine sound.  They conjure up a softer image than Chicago, which has a harsh sound and seems masculine to me.  Even if the child is nicknamed "Chi" (pronounced "shy"), will she then think of herself as a shy person?  She'll hear people say to others, "Don't be shy."  This means something to "not be."

The inner workings of a child's mind are a puzzle. One does not know what impacts them and how.  Do not know how the child will cope with the name, and that's the truth.

Even Paris Hilton had much on her side with her name.  Paris (thinking of the city here) conjures up (or used to, pre-terrorist times), images of beauty, fashion and an elegant style of life.  "Feminine" things.

Haven't studies of those named during the Hippie revolution revealed that the holders of the oddball names wished they had been named more standard names?  

I stand by my viewpoint and will not get into a "scrap" about it.  I hope that Chicago's parents have not tainted a thought that I've always held about names.  I truly don't think so.

Regular Contributor

I suppose Chicago is better than Apple.

Respected Contributor

IG, I think Mae West would be more the Norm.

Trusted Contributor

As the young folks say......Rich people problems.

If funds are managed well, and I'm sure Mama is making sure if it.....This child will NOT have financial worries.  I know money doesn't make you happy but she will have a lot of choices and options to have a ensure a good life!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has touched on what I am about to say so I apologize in advance if I am stepping on toes.

These so called celebrities are so engrossed with themselves when they name their children, that they give no consideration to the ones who have to go through life with ridiculous names. Of course this is strictly my personal opinion.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, They are actually going to call her Chi pronounced Shy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple, I live in the Rio Grande Valley and we have a small town called Mercedes and a lot of women have that name too

Respected Contributor

I am not surprised after what they named the first two.....call me old fashioned, but  those names are ridiculous....