Trusted Contributor

Re: Kim Potter found guilty on both charges

The kid wasn't a police officer 

Trusted Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

The kid wasn't a police officer 

So she's been convicted and she should get different treatment because she's a police officer?

Why?

Honored Contributor

That the officers were white, I suspect played a large part in his attempt to escape. I can't blame him.  

Trusted Contributor

Amazing how many attorneys (including three in my family) think she never should have been charged with the 1st degree manslaughter, but the 2nd degree manslaughter charge was appropriate. I hope she gets a new defense attorney to help with her appeal. She deserves jail time, but not the criminal verdict.

Trusted Contributor

She's not a police officer anymore because she used unnecessary excessive force and killed someone.  I agree with the verdict.

Honored Contributor

I don't think she could have gotten a fair trial in Minneapolis.  They're scared to death of another riot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

The kid shouldn't have tried to fight the police officer. I agree with that. Still, if I had accidently killed someone instead of tasing, that in itself would be punishment enough. Probably not punishment enough. How horrible that a person is gone and another person has to live with what she accidently did for the rest of her life? Just a tragedy all around...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

She immediately said she needed to be taken in without bail; didn't even mention bail and the attorney had to bring it up. The defense gave reasonable reasons to let her stay out of jail until sentencing and it fell on deaf ears. She congratulated the jury like they had just won the lottery. She was found guilty and will be sentenced to up to 25 years...the judge wants more punishment.

Esteemed Contributor

I made a mistake is not a legal defense.

Respected Contributor

I believe her claim that she made a mistake BUT she took a life. It's way past time to have discussions in all communities about complying & not resisting arrest...it leads to tragedy. My granddaughter is in training to become a police officer & I worry, it couldn't be happening at a worse time.