Trusted Contributor

Re: Kim Potter found guilty on both charges

@Kachina624 Try telling that to the loved ones of Philando Castille who was killed in a community outside of Minneapolis by a police officer.  Mr. Castille only obeyed the officer, yet the officer shot into the car multiple times despite the fact that his girlfriend and her child were in the car.  The officer "feared for his life."  Unfortunately, officers have shot many people who were not guilty of any crime.

Potter was training a rookie.  She flexed her authority for something minor--a car deoderant tag--and also a warrant, minor also.  I imagine the dead young man would have like to have been treated in the same manner as Dylan Root: after murdering 8 Black people in a church, upon capture, the officers wanted to know if he was hungry. They bought Burger King for him.

I am only surprised that she was convicted.  If imprisoned, she will be protected by authorities as a former officer.  She can probably be paroled after 8 years and live her life as a free woman with her pension intact.

Honored Contributor

It was a good verdict.  Her excuse wax ridiculous but she had no real defense.I think the defense was striving for a hung jury.  

Trusted Contributor

@decaf She hurriedly resigned before being fired.  It allowed her to retain her pension.

Esteemed Contributor

I find the verdict to be just.

As for the judge's comments,  I don't think they were unusual.   I have heard judges in other trials thank jurors profusely and commend them for carrying out their civic duty.

Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 You can comply and still be killed by officials.  There are many cases across the country and they are now being reviewed and charges filed. Unfortunately, some officers on the scene write/co-sign reports that the victim had a weapon, they were in fear, or the person lunged.  One in Virginia involved a soldier; another in Florida involved an officer not identifying himself and firing into a man's van who had just left a church rehearsal and was on the way home, pulled over to rest, and was killed.

Compliance does not always mean that you escape unscathed. 

I wish your granddaughter safety and peace; I wouldn't want the job yet I support those that assume this awesome responsibility in such troubling tmes. I hope your family attends to all aspects of her well-being.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Having been married to a law enforcement officer and knowing what they put up with, I feel very badly for her.  If the man they were trying to arrest hadn't acted like a jerk, he'd be alive and Kim wouldn't have been on trial.  She has my sympathy; A tragic accident that could have been avoided.

So "acting like a jerk" = it's ok to kill you? I bet police see lots of jerks in their line of work.

The tragic accident could have been avoided if she didn't kill  him with her gun. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Having been married to a law enforcement officer and knowing what they put up with, I feel very badly for her.  If the man they were trying to arrest hadn't acted like a jerk, he'd be alive and Kim wouldn't have been on trial.  She has my sympathy; A tragic accident that could have been avoided.

@Kachina624 - ITA, and you certainly have an insider's perspective. I keep thinking if he had just gotten into the car. . . Certainly today everyone must be aware that when a number of police officers are present, those officers will make sure anyone they arrest is treated fairly. They all have body cameras now.

Two lives would be continuing as normal had he gone along with the other officers. He would be alive, and she would not be facing a long sentence. 

Respected Contributor

Interesting comments.  Sounds like Alec Baldwin should be behind bars too, based on what I'm reading on this post. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Twenty six years as a police officer I would think you know the difference between a Taser and a gun.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@Duckncover wrote:

The judge doesn't like her. She is going to be taken into custody now without bail until sentencing in Jan or Feb. she has already put up $100k bail when she was first arrested. I think the way the judge feigned over the jury was a bit much, especially in front of the defendant. I think she should have been allowed to spend Christmas with her family before sentencing. 

If the situation were reversed and the kid accidentally killed her, would you feel the same?

@JamandBread 

IF!  Ok, if the "kid" had followed orders given legally by Law Enforcement? 

Why some want to do the if situations were reversed escapes me. Had the victim not broken 2 Minnesota laws, he would not have been stopped. Then proceeded to Resist, what? Showing proper ID/Registration/Insurance.

Would I have felt the same?  Put me on your if Jury and I could tell you my opinion based on the facts of the case.

Remember the "kid" was the Law Breaker, not the Police Officer. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)