Honored Contributor

Re: Kim Porter (Diddy's ex) Died from Pneumonia

@LTT1  I had the flu 2 years ago, and I came home from the ER with 5 different meds. It cam be nasty stuff ,and when you get pneumonia with it ,it is ever worse

Flu is a virus ,and pneumonia can be viral, or bacterial. Virus, and bacteria ,need different meds to kill them off, I think

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
Guys, nowhere in this article was the flu ever mentioned. That was added as a comment.

Because it was, I made the observation that she apparently did not have the flu and only had bacterial pneumonia as evidenced by the medication found with her.

Could she gotten it after a bout with the flu? Sure especially with a compromised immune system from fighting the flu virus but this isn't Harvard medical and it was not relevant to the point being made.

Bacterial pneumonia does not come from the flu directly. It comes from being in contact with that particular bacteria, period.

I know drugs, certified in them, and my point was you don't get antibiotics like she had for the flu or for any other type of pneumonia. If you do, change doctors ASAP.

@Laura14

Just to clarify, it IS mentioned in the article:

"Sources close to Kim told us the model was battling the flu and complained she wasn't feeling well the day before she was pronounced dead at her home".

Only the very first comment was mine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Thanks all for your help!

I have always been concerned about pneumonia caused by mycoplasma and how is it treated? 

Viral pneumonia seems like it could be disastrous too.

When I first studied these (a long time ago...ancient!) they didn’t really have meds to treat them. 

I had had about a million questions I would have liked to ask DD, but she doesn’t like that (me prying)

I also asked her if DGDs feet looked yellow (liver) to her and she said she would look.

In all of this process, I felt she needed “fattening up” and we took them to two different places that morning; one supposedly for “us” and one for “them.”

As you might guess, medical talk is not her thing but it sure is mine!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
Guys, nowhere in this article was the flu ever mentioned. That was added as a comment.

Because it was, I made the observation that she apparently did not have the flu and only had bacterial pneumonia as evidenced by the medication found with her.

Could she gotten it after a bout with the flu? Sure especially with a compromised immune system from fighting the flu virus but this isn't Harvard medical and it was not relevant to the point being made.

Bacterial pneumonia does not come from the flu directly. It comes from being in contact with that particular bacteria, period.

I know drugs, certified in them, and my point was you don't get antibiotics like she had for the flu or for any other type of pneumonia. If you do, change doctors ASAP.

@Laura14

You did say "the flu is viral and pneumonia is bacterial".

Some posters were just pointing out that pneumonia can be viral.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1  Augmentin is a combination antibiotic and Z pack is a stand alone antibiotic.  There are different types of antibiotics because each one works a different way.

If you're interested, amoxicillin which is in Augmentin prevents the bacteria from forming cell walls and therefore multiplying while azithromycin prevents growth by interfering with the protein production necessary for the bacterial growth to occur.  

If you have a -cillin you have a wall blocker.  If you have a -mycin you have a protein disruptor.

I am very glad your GD came through it okay.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@KingstonsMom@cherry@meallen616@minnietwinnie@CatsyCline@pitdakota

Here is one reason I wanted to know: our granddaughter (5) came down with what was assumed to be a benign URI before Christmas. She was prescribed antibiotics (something common) A flu test was run “for the heck of it” because “she doesn’t have the symptoms of flu”

Then, getting worse, she was in again and not only was the flu test positive (for type B, no less) 

But she also was diagnosed with pneumonia, which they then said

”This type of pneumonia requires treatment with TWO types of antibiotics.”

I don’t understand this (two types of antibiotics)? I think they prescribed augmentin and zpack for her.

She LOST A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WEIGHT. When we went there I had to gasp at her lack of coloring and loss of weight.

She has recovered and looks fine now.

Hi @LTT1,  I will try to answer as best I can...but mind you, pediatrics was not my field!  LOL    However, with children it is quite common to treat community acquired pneumonia with a combination therapy called beta-lactum/macrolide combination.

In the case you mention of your granddaughter Augmentin is a beta-lactase inhibitor and the Z-Pack (Azithromycin) is a macrolide. Here is  an abstract of some research in that category:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26367389

Hope that helps provide some information for you.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

****UPDATE****

On cause of Kim's pneumonia:

"Kim Porter, the model and former girlfriend of Diddy whose death sent shock waves through the music industry in November, died from lobar pneumonia which is commonly caused by the flu. 

The 47-year-old was found dead in the bedroom of her mansion in November. 

Her cause of death was announced on Friday by the medical examiner in Los Angeles after months of mystery and speculation. 

In a statement, the L.A. County Medical Examiner said: 'On Nov. 16, 2018, an autopsy was performed on Porter and a cause of death was deferred pending further investigation.

'It was later determined Porter died from lobar pneumonia.

'The manner of death was certified as natural,' the medical examiner said on Friday. 

Lobar pneumonia is a type of bacterial pneumonia which is often caused by the flu or a virus and affects one part of the lung."

Porter's death sparked a national conversation on the dangers of the flu and a debate over flu shots. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6633495/Kim-Porter-died-lobar-pneumonia.html 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not directing this at you @KingstonsMom but I have to go back to my original point because this journalist is an idiot and giving out misinformation.

Bacterial pneumonia can NOT be caused by the flu or any other virus.  Bacterial pneumonia is caused by bacteria otherwise it is called viral pneumonia. 

Bacterial pneumonia can be a complication of the flu because of the weakened immune system which then makes you susceptible to a second bacterial infection but a virus can never cause a bacterial infection.  It would be like using apples and calling it a peach pie.  It's just not the same thing and never can be. 

Be careful of the media guys.  They just don't seem to care about facts anymore and when it comes to health reporting that can be dangerous.     

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

You know I love your amusing posts and I'm not trying to be argumentative nor disrespect your profession, but this is not info from a "journalist" or "media guy", it's from the LA Medical Examiner, a Dr., which I'm sure has many years of expertise/experience in determining 'cause of death' vs. experience in the pharmacy field.

The Medical Examiner's report stating this can be found on multiple sites.

I hope we can just agree to disagree on this one and remain posting friends!Heart

Respected Contributor

@minnietwinnie wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

And pneumonia can certainly be viral as well. Pneumonia can be bacterial, viral, or caused by a fungi.  Of course if it is caused by a bacteria it is treated with antibiotics.  If it is viral pneumonia, it is treated with antivirals, and it is fungal it is treated with antifungals.

Of course in this specific case, influenza was ruled out so the flu didn't cause the pneumonia, but just don't want people confused by thinking that all pnuemonia is bacterial.  

At any rate, what a sad case that someone so young succumbed to pneumonia, but it does highlight just how deadly pneumonia can be, no matter the cause.

Thank you @pitdakota.

What kind of antibiotics would be appropriate for treating bacterial pneumonia?

@minnietwinnie, the type of antibiotic prescribed for bacterial pneumonia will depend on several factors including, but not limited to, severity of symptoms at time of assessment, patient's other medical history such as asthma, COPD, and an educated guess of what specific microbe is responsible for the pneumonia.  It is not uncommon for a macrolide such as Azithromycin to be prescribed.  

The case of Kim Porter is pretty interesting, but I don't think we have enough published information to really know specifics.  Viral pneumonia tends to present after the person has had a couple of days of congestion and complaints of a sore throat.  Bacterial pneumonia tends to present with a sudden onset of symptoms that are more severe from the start of onset.  

It is also not uncommon for providers, depending on medical history to prescribe a macrolide to try to prevent a secondary bacterial pneumonia or bronchitis from occuring even when they think the primary symptoms are caused by a virus.   That is not uncommon around here, especially if the patient has asthma or a complex medical history of chronic diseases & presents with fairly severe symptoms.  It isn't something that is routinely done, but they will do it if they think the risk of developing bronchitis or pneumonia is signficant in that individual with a complex medical history (COPD, heart disease, renal disease, etc).  Sometimes they are just between a rock and a hard place because they don't want to contribute to antibiotic resistance, but they are very concerned about the patient's risk to develop a serious secondary bacterial infection that could be life threatening.  

I don't know that we have any specific information about Ms. Poter's health history and it doesn't really need to be released per se.  

In any case people should be aware that pneumonia is a serious problem that can be fatal.  I think something around 15-20% of all pneumonia cases per year in this country result in death.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *