Esteemed Contributor

Kids vs Us technology (ever feel this way? lol)

Have you ever felt like this with technology?

I spent 25 minutes trying to figure out how to put tv show (gifs) i.e. I call them clips (lol) or any clips in Facebook Instant messenger to send.

My one granddaughters been sending me fun clips for weeks. (I could do the little icons you send, that was easy).

I finally found out through that same granddaughter, I needed an app that had the clips but only on my tablet, I couldn't do it here on the laptop.

So I download the app via my tablet, then I couldn't get the clip (well gif) I wanted in the message. lol.

It was so easy when I got it! I felt like a moron!. lol.

My teen and tween grandkids do this stuff on their iPhones, tablets, and computer, like its nothing.

And I know mostly everything on the computer and often help my friends, but I couldn't get this at first.

So I sent her and my son gifs in messenger, and they both wrote back Yay you finally got it! And to that I said, haha yeah its about time huh? :-)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: Kids vs Us technology (ever feel this way? lol)

[ Edited ]

Shorty2U ~ If it makes you feel any better, and it SHOULD!  You are miles and miles ahead of me.  

When my Granddaughter was 3 she would call me, and tell me to "hang on a minute".  Next thing I knew she had a conference call with me & her other Grandma!  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

At about 2 years old, my grandson was putting his own DVD's in the DVD player.  And, it was a shortcut, compared to the way I always did it lol.

He also works his way flawlessly around my iPad.  He's 3, and has been using it for about a year.  I'm going to replace it with one that has more memory, and give him my old one.  

When we were their age, we were probably still eating crayons, lol.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

What is really frightening is that Chicago powers that be have taken writing out of the curriculum and don't allow elementary school teachers to use books.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

What is really frightening is that Chicago powers that be have taken writing out of the curriculum and don't allow elementary school teachers to use books.

@hopi

Could you tell us a little bit more?  Are you saying that there are NO books in Chicago schools?  That's kind of hard to imagine.  And what about the "no writing" part - do you mean that there are no pencils/pens and paper, or that there's no creative writing in the curriculum? Inquiring minds want to know!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Don't feel bad @Shorty2U I made my 4 yr old granddaughter a picture album.  she said "grand mom those pictures belong on your phone! I already have lots of books!" Oh my!

Now she will call I start a chat with her and she'll say "Grandmom I already signed onto Skype I'm waiting!"

these are funny but true all the things we've enjoyed before technology, I.e., phone calls, photo albums, picking up our pictures from that Kodak kiosk, and I'm sure more!

My friend also told me penmanship is no longer in the schools, ugh! And my GD is entering pre-K and has been assigned her own Apple IPad. Yikes!

Respected Contributor

I dont have hard paper textbooks anymore; we teach out of a curriculum loaded onto a tablet. My TE is on a tablet and also projected onto my whiteboard by using a mimeo and laptop/projector. It works and this is teaching of the future.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies, and such cute stories about grandchildren! So fun!

About their curriculum. My youngest granddaughter (11) did not learn cursive and I got upset by this, so I bought a big poster from the dollar store with cursive writing and taught her!

My middle granddaughter (15) only had cursive for weeks in the lower grades and never used it since! The oldest (17) knows cursive and has beautiful penmanship. In fact she writes everything down on index cards in spite of having a Chromebook. Writing is how she studies and shes on high honors so I believe writing IS a good thing!

Also all my grandchildren bring home Chromebooks. There are no books! I might add the school charges $40 a year each X3 kids = $120 a year from middle school up, to bring them home too. If you don't pay, they cant bring the Chromebooks home to do their homework, and the oldest is a Senior now and if her Chromebook wouldn't have been paid no prom!

Sorry but I think that's ridiculous (and expensive!), because its the schools choice to give Chromebooks, not the parents or children's choices!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles