Respected Contributor

Re: Kids Today: They Don’t Work Summer Jobs the Way They Used to

My daughter who is now 24 has worked since she wa 15, during school and college. 

She wanted expensive things that i was not giving her money for.

Honored Contributor

I don't think that the article itself was bashing kids today. But some of the posts have a subcontext about kids being lazy now and that not working somehow stunts their character or ability to deal with life.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I didn't work an outside job until I graduated from high school.   My brothers and I had plenty of farm chores to keep us busy, which ended when my grandfather passed in 1971.   

My brothers, and my husband, made quick pocket money helping several local farmers with their hay for many years.   Right now, local farmers are having a hard time trying to find hard workers with strong backs to get bales of hay from the field to their barns.   It's cash money for hard work, but kids today won't do it.   More and more local farmers have transitioned from square hay bales to round hay bales, because they can at least move the large ones with their tractor.    

Honored Contributor

My employer always participated in a summer youth program for disadvantaged teens.  There were many menial chores they could help with in our office setting.  However, I found I had to sacrifice one of my regular employees to "babysit" them.  They were expert at hiding and doing everything from sleeping to endless chitchat on their phones.  They weren't worth the trouble. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop, my dh use to haul hay when he was a teen. It was good money, back then anyway.

I think a lot of what use to be family farms in my area, have been divided up and sold. They are now subdivisions. Its kind of sad to me.

Honored Contributor

Thankfully, DD was able to teach horse back riding at the barn she rode at during the summer to the day campers.  No laying around the house being bored, it's a good thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Thankfully, DD was able to teach horse back riding at the barn she rode at during the summer to the day campers.  No laying around the house being bored, it's a good thing.

Oh that sounds so fun @mousiegirl, she must have loved that. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Irshgrl31201  She did.  Every Friday, teachers and kids would paint the horse they had been riding all week and decorate it with ribbons and there would be a parade for the parents, too cute.  Of course, afterward, they would have to bathe the horse, a little more work, but fun.  The pay was really good also.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Irshgrl31201  She did.  Every Friday, teachers and kids would paint the horse they had been riding all week and decorate it with ribbons and there would be a parade for the parents, too cute.  Of course, afterward, they would have to bathe the horse, a little more work, but fun.  The pay was really good also.

That sounds great @mousiegirl. I bet she loved that. Is she still into horses? When I was about 12 or so my brother dated a girl who was really into horses. She lived on a farm and had about 3 or 4. She would train horses and competed. I LOVED that girl so much because was such a sweet person. She always took me riding and taught me so much about horses. Unfortunately my brother didn't like her as much as I did (LOL) and I was furious when he broke things off with her. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

That sounds great @mousiegirl. I bet she loved that. Is she still into horses? When I was about 12 or so my brother dated a girl who was really into horses. She lived on a farm and had about 3 or 4. She would train horses and competed. I LOVED that girl so much because was such a sweet person. She always took me riding and taught me so much about horses. Unfortunately my brother didn't like her as much as I did (LOL) and I was furious when he broke things off with her. 

@Irshgrl31201  Lol, funny story.  DD was a jumper, hair raising for me, LOL, and loved it so much. We practically lived at the barn.  all lessons were in preparation for a show, every three months or so.  She went off to college, and between that and a job, she hasn't managed to ride much for a few years now, but I know her dream is to have her own horse one day.  She had the dream of being in the Olympics, but then reality set in.  She can still compete if she finds time, but I don't see that in the near future.