Honored Contributor

Kids Find/Return Wallet w/ $700

[ Edited ]

"Three Colorado children who returned a wallet stuffed with $700 of cash to its owner have been hailed by well wishers.

Haylie Wenke, 13, her brother 6-year-old Reagan, and their friend Ashley Dayton are seen on surveillance video around midday on July 18 approaching the front door of an Aurora home, where a robotic voice tells them to leave a message.

Haylie tells the messaging system they had found the wallet outside a car and were returning it so no one would take the money."

'We found your wallet outside of your car and we just thought we would give it back to you,' she says, before hiding the wallet by the door. I'm going to put it over here so no takes any money. You're welcome. Thank you.'

Haylie told KDVR-TV the trio were riding their bikes to a water park when they spotted the wallet and decided to return it.

'We just thought it would be a good thing to do,' she said. 'It just feels good because we really didn't need the money. So we just decided to give it back.'

The residents say the wallet belonged to their son, Nigel Drake.

His father, Jamie Carlton, posted the video on Facebook so he could find the children and thank them.

The children's parents spoke to Dailymail.com of their pride. Mother Kerri Eddy Wenke said: 'It is very humbling the kids have gotten so much attention!

'I would like to take credit for their actions, but we really can’t. They were by themselves and chose to put the wallet in a safe place all on their own!

'As parents I think we always hope they are doing the right thing when we are not around or when no one is watching. It makes me very proud!!' 

Father Ryan Wenke said: 'We try our best to make sure they are taught between right and wrong.

Haylie said they had found a wallet outside a car and were returning it so no one would take the money

Video here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5999689/Colorado-children-praised-returning-wallet-stuffed-7...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Re: Kids Find/Return Wallet w/ $700

There are many wonderful children who have been taught to do the right thing.  

I wish we would hear more of these stories!

Respected Contributor

I don't understand........When did "doing what you are supposed to do" 

become newsworthy ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope the local news people make a HUGE fuss over the good that these kids did. Very admirable. 

Reinforce good (the right behavior).  It's a big thank you to the kids!

We sure hear enough about the kids who don't behave.  Time for some good news.

Honored Contributor

@Bri63 wrote:

There are many wonderful children who have been taught to do the right thing.  

I wish we would hear more of these stories!

@Bri63

Me too!

There's too much negative being reported, that it's nice to have a 'feel good' story come along!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

become newsworthy ?

when did it NOT? and with all of the HORRIBLE, DIVISIVE, and SAD stories we see daily, this simple act of kindness is worth reading about. we need to hear more of them actually.

good deed

To offer or perform intuitively an act or deed of compassion, unconditional love, understanding, kindness, volunteering, help, listening to or support to a family member, a person in your community or a person you meet during your day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Nice story,great kids but I don't find it at all surprising.  The vast,vast majority of kids in this country are great kids.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Okay, don't bash me here because I think it's wonderful that those children were so honest and kind, but I do have to wonder why this gentleman's son was walking around with $700.00 cash in a wallet.   

I certainly hope it was legit and not money obtained for nefarious reasons.   I'm not casting aspersions on this person but that is quite a bit of cash to just carry around.   

With theft being what it is I don't like to have more than $20.00 in my purse.  

It's a nice story and shows the young people in a very good light.  

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

become newsworthy ?

@Danky

I guess about the same time that kids/people NOT "doing what they are supposed to do" became newsworthy.

Just my guess.....