Honored Contributor

@jubilant I'm going to be a first time grandma in late winter!  Very excited and my DD just found out that it will be a boy. 

They are thinking of the name "Wes".  I thought it had a western cowboy vibe sound to it.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@sktchy "I was out shopping and a woman in the same isle as myself was calling out loud,  Esther.   I was surprised when a little girl appeared."

Now that you mentioned Esther I heard a woman saying the name Edith and it also was a little girl.

Haha!  I can't help but think of an Edith or Esther as an older woman.  My mother's name was Gertrude and I can't see that making a come back any time soon!

Respected Contributor

It seems that old-fashioned names from years ago are popular again. Jewel and Plant names for girls especially. Some of my daughter's friends seem to all be having or expecting babies now. Two Rubys and a Fern. Some of the names are nice but there are some cringe-worthy ones indeed. One had a little boy last week and his name is Clapper. Guess they will call him Clap? My best friend just had her first grandson and his name is Jilton. That is her DIL's maiden name. Jill? Jilt?  Having been in education for 35 years, I could write a book on weird names. They go in waves...one year I had six Jasons in the same class...some with the same last initial. Another year it was three Laurens spelled in different ways. The biggest beef I have with some of them is the strange and unnecessary spellings they choose. Either the parents are illiterate or they are just trying to saddle the kid with a name he will be spelling or correcting others' mispronunciation the rest of his life. Don't do that! I have one of those and my name has been mispronounced my whole life...and it's just one syllable! 

Honored Contributor

My grandmother's neighbor was named Ollie.   Even as a 12 year old, I thought her parents could have done better naming that baby, lol. 

Respected Contributor

River, Canyon, Desert, and Valley have run their course in our area. I am waiting for the next Mountain. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@jubilant I'm going to be a first time grandma in late winter!  Very excited and my DD just found out that it will be a boy. 

They are thinking of the name "Wes".  I thought it had a western cowboy vibe sound to it.

@haddon9   That does have a western ring to it. I had a relative named Wesley but I don't know if that was western or not. 

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma. Prepare yourself as that baby will melt your heart!

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

We became great-grandparents recently. Our grandson and wife were looking at western names.  Frankly, we cringed at some of them. Well, the name they picked was Maverick.  We were hoping for Hudson or Tanner but I think after they watched the new Tom Cruise movie that sealed it! Everyone calls him Mav now and, of course, it's their baby so we didn't say a word and it's growing on us.  He turned himself over at one month so, let's face it....he is a little

"Maverick" and the name fits him!  We are liking it more and more.

Our next door neighbor's grandaughter is Theodora and they call her "Theodorable" and sometimes "Dori".  The parents don't mind and that is important. If they did they wouldn't do it.

When you think about it, some of our ancestors had names that sounded pretty weird to me. In fact, I think my given name is a little weird!   

I like how the Maverick name ended up working well for him.  I like 'Mav'.  Smiley Happy

I don't think I'd heard of Theodora before but it's interesting.  I really like what they did with it.  How cute is Theodorable!   I also LOVE Dori!

I don't know any people w/little kids, so I haven't heard what names are popular these days.   Turned out I didn't have a choice, but I never had kids at one point before I knew what had been done I always thought I'd like one boy or two boys.  Nothing more.  Nothing different.

But one name I always  liked (for no apparent reason) is Jon Paul.   It doesn't mean anything to me.  I just like it and definitely with that spelling of Jon.

In the end things worked out as they should.  I'd be terrible as a parent.  Smiley Happy   

What I always wondered was how it is people can name somebody before they meet them.  Does that seem odd only to me?   I wouldn't be surprised.  But I could never even name a dog/cat/bird/etc before meeting them.  

Esteemed Contributor

A neighbor's granddaughter just had a baby boy and named him Bear.  Smiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

A neighbor's granddaughter just had a baby boy and named him Bear.  Smiley Surprised

The girl from Clueless named her boy Bear Blu. Yikes !  smh

Respected Contributor

A name I noticed that's popular now for boys and girls is Sterling.  I'm not crazy about it.