Honored Contributor

Re: Kid's Names, I Thought I'd Heard it All, Till Now

With an unusual name the child better be prepared for a lot of laughs at his/her expense.  But the gate agent was out of line.  Perhaps he/she needed a good laugh for the day??

I agree with others--what were the parents thinking??  If they want an unusual name, they should legally change their own.

Respected Contributor

Wow what are parents thinking?  And what in the sam hill is the matter with the ADULT empolyee doing what they did? to a 5yr old?  seriously?  

I don't have a unusual name....or odd just a name that isn't used much anymore these days....and I actually had a dental assistant say to me "don't you just hate your name?" looking me right in the eye....cause she hated it as it was her middle name!  Good grief...this woman at the time was my age!  I was stunned....I am not quick witted at all....I just stared at her in shock!  Finally I said NO I do not....and walked away from her.  

So ya there are so many mean insensitive people walking around for sure but I am an adult so I can handle it but a 5yr old is gonna be crying and so upset until she can change her name as a adult.

Parents doing this want attention.

Respected Contributor

The kid better get used to it, and that mother better accept some responsibility for creating this issue.  Very sad.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I just had to add another comment.  The mother should have just reported the incident to the airline and not broadcast it on social media.  I am now wondering how the mother learned it was on facebook?

Why keep something low key when you can blow it out of proportion and make an even bigger deal over it?  Her daughter was so shamed, she had to let the entire world know?  That will help.  Not. 

Respected Contributor

I came from the time when names were pretty boring, none in my school were unusual wxcept for a girl in my class.  Her name was Sibyl, unusual for those days.  I attended a small school, there were only 48 of us in our graduation class.  There were 4 Carols! Several Thomases and Roberts.  

Unusual names, within reason, are great.  However, children make up nicknames for even the most common names.  Poor little Abcde will have lots of nicknames, many won't be kind. 

Parents really should think anout the child's future, not their own creativity. 

Honored Contributor

I read the story on this earlier today and it occurred to me that we only have the mother's version of events.  Was the child upset at it or was she upset because the mother made such a big scene about it?  Would the child even have been aware, if she hadn't?

And it's the mother who gave this 5-year-old child such a ridiculously stupid "name".  As some on other platforms have commented - you don't name your child something like that unless you want attention.  This was a totally narcissistic move on the part of the mother.

The child will deal with the ramifications for her life (until she's old enough to legally change her name and I'm betting she will after years of having to spell it and explain).

Some people shouldn't have children.  Period.

Honored Contributor

My guess...there’s a back story not being told.

My thought:

The mother was OK with the pic on FB but when seeing the backlash,

she’s backstepping her story. Like someone mentioned upthread, 

how did she know it was on FB?  And to mend all this, she went

to social media afterwards trying to make SW the bad guy.

Nope...she’s still getting grilled.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia

I totally agree!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I like unusual names but I don't like stupid names.  My guess is that a stupid mother chose a stupid name.  Then a stupid agent made the whole situation even more stupid.

Stupidity abounds in this story.

Honored Contributor

Man, the more I read the social media comments,

the better this gets.  I giggled h.a.r.d with this one:

609C78E1-F472-4CC3-93B1-7F9A72152AA1.jpeg