Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keurig failures: Mini brewers w/o water pumps?

On 12/11/2014 Mary Bailey said:

I was in the test group for the mini. I'm still using the test unit. I descale about once a month.

I do have a spare mini in the closet ""just in case""

I notice lately mine is making a little less coffee than expected- I probably need to descale it. What proportion of vinegar & water do you use?

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/11/2014 ibb38 said:
On 12/11/2014 Mary Bailey said:

I was in the test group for the mini. I'm still using the test unit. I descale about once a month.

I do have a spare mini in the closet ""just in case""

I notice lately mine is making a little less coffee than expected- I probably need to descale it. What proportion of vinegar & water do you use?

(I don't know what Keurig recommends)

I do 10 ounces of all vinegar. I let it sit in the coffee maker all day while I'm at work. Then I run water through it 2-4 times afterward.

Honored Contributor

I have had a mini from QVC for a little over 4 years. I do descale it often. I had to call them one time when the water wouldn't go through to brew. The Keurig Customer Service told me to remove the gasket and use a paper clip (opened) and stick it through the 3 holes that are in the ""needle"" part that punctures the k-up. Worked fine after. I have had to repeat that procedure a couple of times since then. I also have a back-up in the closet. I like the white and for a while they seldom offered it so I bought a back-up at Kohl's for about $50. after all the discounts and got free shipping. So far I haven't had to use the back-up. I love the Keurig.

Honored Contributor

I've never had a pump issue with any of my Keurigs, and I've had the mini in our Motor Home for at least 4 years now, maybe longer. I do use filtered (bottled) water in all my Keurig machines.

These pumps ALL can have issues however, it's inherent in their design, unfortunately. Sometimes you get ones that just last and other times, no. I buoght a rather expensive Starbuck's Espresso machine years ago (when they sold their own brand) and the pump went out on it after a few years. My son said he'd try and get it going again and he did~! He is still enjoying that machine with occasional "fixes"...

I love my Keurigs, but wouldn't mind the Cuisinart either.... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

After my first full-size Keurig died after about a year, I ordered an "as is" one from the Q - that went back almost immediately. I later purchased a Cuisinart from Amazon - no complaints, still going strong! I also have the Keurig "mini" which I highly recommend. There's no pump problems with the "mini". There's also no filters to worry about. The mini's hassle-free. After two years of steady-use - about 4-6 cups per day, I "cleaned" it out: poured in one cup of vinegar, then ran three cups of water thru. It's perfect! Your can also brew a cup of tea, and heat water for soup/oatmeal (use less than 6oz for oatmeal, so I just let it drip into a measuring cup. I use San Francisco Bay cups (from Amazon) so it will take any brand cups; I've been told some of the newer Keurig's only take the K-cups, which I find to be much more costly and much less environmentally friendly.

Contributor

Had 3 regular Keurigs and every single one failed on me.Got a personal brewer and it has lasted me over 2 years already. I think the ones with pumps are the worst. I even purchased the Bunn Brand and the pump failed in that one too. I will stick with the personal brewer. These machines are made in China(junk). Just think about how many of these are in the landfills. Such a shame!

Respected Contributor

I've had a mini for 5 or 6 years. It's still working fine.
Respected Contributor

I've had a mini for 5 or 6 years. It's still working fine.
Esteemed Contributor

Lots of other brewers as already stated. However I will say my Keurig is still going strong after more than 5 years... Platinum version. Any problem, I call them (Keurig) and they talk me through it. Great customer service.

When my machine goes I will consider an off brand. I don't want to go the way of the 2.0. And if I have to I will cut and paste codes to buy my favorite 'coffee' from Amazon. Grove Square flavored coffee that does taste like coffee. I actually hate the taste of coffee. I brought the brewer because I love gadgets and I knew I could talk hubby into using it. He was upset at first. He was making coffee the old fashioned way. But once he saw how easy this was... no more taking time to make his own and clean his own.... what a production for him.

Honored Contributor

I own two Keurig brewers that are older. I think the newest one is about 7 years old. They get used very hard and I have never had a problem with either. I always use spring water in them and I run vinegar through them about once a year. When one of them breaks down, I plan on getting a mini because I like the fact that I don't need to store water in the tank. ( I once had a big dead bee at the bottom of the tank... It was gross) I hope I noticed it right away, but I can't be sure.