Respected Contributor

Keurig failures: Mini brewers w/o water pumps?

I've had three standard Keurigs fail due to the water pump dying after 14-16 months of use, even with filtered water. I'm using a Mr. Coffee with a thermal carafe, but I admit, after that first cup, the coffee is no longer as fresh as what I got with my Keurigs. Do any of you who use Keurig mini/personal brewers have the same failure problems that the models with water resevoirs and pumps have? I'm considering ordering a Mini, just for the benefit of that fresh brewed taste.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keurig failures: Mini brewers w/o water pumps?

I have had several Keurigs....both mini and full size....never had a problem with any of them...only bought different ones for upgrades...or color....

Not interested in those 2.0 things...I have no need for a carafe...not to mention they are not thermal so the coffee will go cold right away...

Sorry you have had so many issues....I can't imagine why....did you call the company and ask....I understand they are very nice to deal with....

Super Contributor

How do you know that it's the water pump that has failed?

Super Contributor

Now that the patent has expired, other brands are making brewers that use k-cups. Cuisinart, Hamilton-Beach, and a couple others I can't think of right now. Might be worth a try!

Honored Contributor

My Cuisinart machine is going strong after 3 years. I purposely did not buy the Keurig and bought the Cuisinart because reviews stated they had far fewer issues than the Keurigs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Circles, I did call Keurig's CS, they offered me discounted pricing all three times after the failures, and the first two times I took them up on it, but when the third failure occurred, I threw in the towel and bought the Mr. Coffee. I hope the mini doesn't have the same problems the larger models did.

BigOrangeKitty, I know it was the water pump because that's the fuse that was damaged on all three of them when we took them apart. All three failed the same way, they stopped pumping water no matter what fixes we tried or the Keurig website or CS reps suggested. So, in taking them apart to recycle what materials and parts we could, and found the fuses blackened, indicating electrical damage, which explains why the pumps failed.

Re: Cuisinarts and other brewer brands, I haven't investigated those brands, and I probably should, but for now I just don't have the energy and time, so I'm going to try a mini and hope it holds up.

Valued Contributor

I have a hamilton beach flex brew. I haven't had it for very long, but love it. It will brew a full pot, a k cup, or a single cup of loose ground coffee. I chose it because of the options and the price. Good luck finding something you like!

Honored Contributor

I have the personal brewer, and it stops working all the time. I've had it a little over a year, and the first time it stopped working was a few months after I got it. I called Keurig's CS and they talked me through scraping the needles with a paper clip to get it unstuck. Now I have to do this every couple of weeks. I run a 10 oz. mug of plain water through the brewer after each use, and it still does this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I have a personal mini and bought it at Kohls. I'll be bringing it back for an exchange every time I have an issue! It crashed on me once in 10 months. As a precaution, I now only use filtered water.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in the test group for the mini. I'm still using the test unit. I descale about once a month.

I do have a spare mini in the closet ""just in case""