Respected Contributor

Re: Kentucky Derby Winner Tests + For Steroids

Wow.  Sad to see so many here fall for this without knowing all the facts.  I was immediately suspicious of this story because we have such horrible news sources these days.  Let's wait to see.  It already seems to be falling apart, and this crooked news never comes back and retracts anything.  Pay attention people!  There are a lot of cut throats in the horse racing business.  

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten I'm no trainer, that's just my own personal opinion, as I stated.

and so is mine

Respected Contributor

It's a shame what animals are put through for entertainment and money.  There are some barbaric practices with horse racing.  Alas, some people will always watch so there is no incentive for it to go away.

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Does anyone know why aren't horses tested for drugs BEFORE the race?  

Very Good question ,   It should be mandatory I feel !   I'm sure it's because the rich and powerful involved within wouldn't want there dirty little secrets exposed !    

Here's a thought about testing before the races: is that even possible? I mean, those horses are amazing athletes, they love to run, they're all revved up knowing they're going to go and run their brains out.

Can you imagine them holding still for such a thing? And I'm sure no one in their right mind would try to stick a needle in them for any kind of blood or urine test.

Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

Baffert obviously knows the rules regarding drug testing both before and after a race.  With a race as important as the KD, I don't think he would approve anything like that.  

Could the owner or someone else on the team have done it?  It's possible so let's wait for the final investigation to conclude.  

Haha! Of course he would. This drug is legal during training and the problem is having it out of the horses system by race day. It's probable that he's trying to cut corners and get the use as close to race day as possible without an overage. This guy is a hall of fame trainer and stood in front of a camera yesterday and acted like he didn't even know what this drug is used for. That's pretty laughable.

And when he gets caught he always blames his help. Lovely guy.

pigletsmom--very thought-provoking post. thank you

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The world of horse racing is actually a very small one; it has cliques/favorites/people they love to pick on and the bottom line is money. Most horses are not privately owned but are a syndicate investment where multiple people own a share and get percentage of the win (just like stocks in any company) and if the horse doesn't prove to be a good investment well....things can happen...by accident, of course.

Good old "bute" as we've always called it, has been around for a LONG time and is used freely for inflammation. Like taking Advil when you want to deaden the pain and carry on with something. You crush it up and place it in some food; no taste, no smell. Easily slipped into half an apple...rolled over a wet carrot....larger junks added to a lump or two of sugar. No one would think anything odd if they saw those things being fed to a horse. 

It's been awhile but the only time you tested a horse for drugs was because of a tip; like anything else, that person may have axe to grind so.....yeah. Other owners/trainers are not above doing things to make a winning horse lose...to make their horse win. It's just doing business, you know. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Wow.  Sad to see so many here fall for this without knowing all the facts.  I was immediately suspicious of this story because we have such horrible news sources these days.  Let's wait to see.  It already seems to be falling apart, and this crooked news never comes back and retracts anything.  Pay attention people!  There are a lot of cut throats in the horse racing business.  

@MomCat, I'm confused at to what your point of view is here. I thought you were saying that he's been unfairly accused by the media, but then your last sentence seems to indicate differently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

The world of horse racing is actually a very small one; it has cliques/favorites/people they love to pick on and the bottom line is money. Most horses are not privately owned but are a syndicate investment where multiple people own a share and get percentage of the win (just like stocks in any company) and if the horse doesn't prove to be a good investment well....things can happen...by accident, of course.

Good old "bute" as we've always called it, has been around for a LONG time and is used freely for inflammation. Like taking Advil when you want to deaden the pain and carry on with something. You crush it up and place it in some food; no taste, no smell. Easily slipped into half an apple...rolled over a wet carrot....larger junks added to a lump or two of sugar. No one would think anything odd if they saw those things being fed to a horse. 

It's been awhile but the only time you tested a horse for drugs was because of a tip; like anything else, that person may have axe to grind so.....yeah. Other owners/trainers are not above doing things to make a winning horse lose...to make their horse win. It's just doing business, you know. 

I'm learning a lot I didn't know about horse racing. Thank you all.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I just learned Baffert will be on Fox News within the hour .   I hope they really press him and don't let him spin the whole thing,  which he's probably good at.   I won't beileve anything he says anyways ,  he'll probably just make me more angry 😡

It was all spin. He tries to act like the amount of the overage is super small, neglecting to mention the amount is double the acceptable level. Then he blames rando people for coming up to the horse. This might work on people who've never been near a track.

@pigletsmom @I know I didn't buy any of what he was saying !  He knows exactly what happened and saying a lot of peop,e were around the horse after the win and he could have picked it up that way??!  That is just Crazy !!!!   How can you pick up a steriod that way ?   It wouldn't just be in on ones hands !    I hope the truth comes out soon I hate to see him with another horse.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I despise horse racing and don't watch.  I don't believe horses were meant to race on those spindly legs they have. 

I also don't believe in those show jumping events either.  Again, that is a massive amount of body weight coming down in those spindly legs.  

There is so much abuse all around that doesn't involve racing.  There are the ponies that are tethered to each other at fairs that just go round and round in a circle all day, being ridden by children.  They are often out in the blazing sun with little to no water being given to them. 

Many cities offer horse and carriage rides and again, the horses are outside often in the blazing sun with little to no water, taking tourists around a city.  When I was in Nashville, there were horses lined up and down the downtown streets waiting to take people for rides.  These horses were out there from the early morning until dark.  It was sickening.     

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I despise horse racing and don't watch.  I don't believe horses were meant to race on those spindly legs they have. 

I also don't believe in those show jumping events either.  Again, that is a massive amount of body weight coming down in those spindly legs.  

There is so much abuse all around that doesn't involve racing.  There are the ponies that are tethered to each other at fairs that just go round and round in a circle all day, being ridden by children.  They are often out in the blazing sun with little to no water being given to them. 

Many cities offer horse and carriage rides and again, the horses are outside often in the blazing sun with little to no water, taking tourists around a city.  When I was in Nashville, there were horses lined up and down the downtown streets waiting to take people for rides.  These horses were out there from the early morning until dark.  It was sickening.     

@Lipstickdiva  I agree with everything you said !   Horses should not be used for our entertainment and to work .  I would love to see these beautiful animals out in a peaceful pasture grazing and having a wonderful life  .   Unfortunately as long as creed rules these people I don't see it happening.  It just sickens me , I feel for all care about all 

animals big and small and can't understand how people treat them so badly as if they have no feelings or feel pain.  I've always said one day these people will have to own up ,  they are Gods creatures .