Honored Contributor

Keeping your glasses fog free while wearing a mask

[ Edited ]

1. Soap and water

A 2011 study published in the journal Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England found that a little soap and water goes a long way toward eliminating unwanted fogging. 

“Immediately before wearing a face mask, wash the spectacles with soapy water and shake off the excess. Then, let the spectacles air dry or gently dry off the lenses with a soft tissue before putting them back on. Now the spectacle lenses should not mist up when the face mask is worn.”One caveat: Although dish soap typically is recommended for this technique, it’s important to choose a brand that does not use lotion, which can harm the lenses...Lukewarm water also is recommended, as hot water can damage lenses too.

2. Anti-fog spray

Sprays also are available to keep your lenses mist-free. 

Just note that these can cause irritation of the eyes in some people, so they may not work for everyone

3. Tuck a small tissue into the mask

attaching a small tissue to the inside of the mask will absorb moisture that otherwise would find its way to the lenses.

The publication recommends placing a folded tissue at the top of your mask and taping it there.

4. Slide your glasses further down your nose

By sliding your spectacles a little lower down your nose, you can keep them out of the way of the moist air escaping from the top of the mask.

This is probably not an ideal long-term solution, but it works in a pinch.

5. Modify the mask to better fit your face

Finally, a mask that fits your face more snugly is less likely to produce fogging. So, if the mask has a wire inside the top edge, pinch it to your nose.

Super Contributor

Re: Keeping your glasses fog free while wearing a mask

Thanks for those tips!

Such a drag going out on a sunny day, wearing sunglasses, but 

they are useless due to fog!

Or putting on my Readers in the store (in a VAIN ATTEMPT TO READ 

A Supplement label!) only to be thwarted by the *steam* spewing 

from my ears!

The fog also makes my mask damp much :::::::faster.

We need an e-book—— The Idiot’s Guide to Face Mask Use!