Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Keep finding tins of smokless tobacco in our front yard

..............and if you find out who is doing it what are you going to do?  Confrontation and trouble could cost a lot more than picking up trash.  aggravating I know.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@songbird  Why not start with a small sign that says "Please do not toss litter in the yard."  Then if that does not help, place another sign that says "You are now on camera".  Doesn't have to be true, just let them think it is.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why are you blaming teens when it could just as easily be trash from an 80 year old who takes a daily walk?  Other cleaning it up when it happens, your only solution is a fence high enough to deter people from  throwing their  trash on your property.

Very few if any elderly people in our neighborhood.  The kids from middle and high school don't smoke cigarettes  as much as we did, but they do love their tobacco.  Quite a few use smokeless and even snuff.  I was shocked to find out it was still sold.  You would think snuff and 18th century men would come to thought. With smokeless tobacco, baseball players would come to mind. I thought snuff was ancient history.  Besides an 80 year would have long been dead from oral cancer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three large spruce trees in my front yard. The lower branches used to touch the ground and most of my view was blocked by those branches. People would throw trash in my yard all the time. Guess they thought the trees would hide it...it didn't. So one year I had a tree trimmer take off a good portion of the lower branches on all three trees and now I have a clear view of the sidewalk and the street in front of my house. No one has tossed any trash into my yard since.Woman Happy

eta- Those spruce trees were so magnificent with their sprawling branches touching the ground. I really hated cutting them off. It sort of hurt when I watched them do it. Felt like someone was cutting my fingers or toes off.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

This reminds me of what happened a few years ago.....I saw a woman walk up my driveway and toss her dog poop bag in my trash can. I watched her walk to the house about 4 houses away but she wasn't the owner which I did know.

A few days later it happened again and I ran out and asked why she was throwing her dogs litter bag in my trash..she said she didn't want to carry it to her daughters house up the street. I told her to please not do it and use her own trash can for her own dog.

The entire family never spoke to us again.

It's not always kids...adults can be just as ignorant and disrespectful.

Honored Contributor

We get trash tossed into our yard weekly.  The school bus stops right at my drive way. We also have groups of kids who walk pass the house throwing soda cars, milk cartons, candy wrappers and empty chip bags into the street. Ocassionally, we get a beer or whisky bottle.

I just pick up the trash and toss it into the can.  I have a neighbor who walks everyday.  She wears gloves and carries an empty plastic bag.  She picks up cigarette butts and other trash found in our neighborhood.

Some people, kids and adults, have no respect for anything...other's property or the environment.

Respected Contributor

Some people are so inconsiderate, ignorant, and disgusting. When DH and I used to live in our inlaws house, I had to go outside every morning with a bag and disposable gloves to pick up things that I cannot post here.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

My first thought when  you were describing the situation was that someone was hanging around your trees and maybe observing your home......i think i would get some

kind of security camera........just to see what is happening.

Honored Contributor

The security camera might help but it won't stop anything unless you are prepared to follow through with some sort of response. We have finally seen the amount of fast food trash and cigarette pkgs lessen because the remodeling and rebuilds in our neighborhood has almost been completed...the work crews eat lunch on the front lawns of their worksite and just toss their trash anywhere...which maddens me when they are right next to a huge dumpster!
Valued Contributor

Many years ago, I assisted a elderly couple.  They were very educated and rich.  One day she showed me stuff she had found in her yard.  The outcome was it was her husband, a retired Dr that had some kind of secret life.