Honored Contributor

Two people have been killed in Nebraska as the submerged state grapples with the worst flooding its seen in 50 years. 

Rainfall and swollen rivers, left in the wake of the 'bomb cyclone' winter storm swirling through the US, has left Nebraska inundated with water, neighborhoods completely submerged, and bridges ripped apart.  

Governor Pete Ricketts declared a state of emergency in 53 counties, saying that one-third of the state has been affected in the devastating floods and 2,600 locals living near rivers were urged to evacuate on Friday.

'This is the largest widespread amount of flooding we've had in the last half century,' Ricketts said on the deluge. 

Nebraska saw its various rivers break through their banks, cresting at up to 25 feet and rushing into neighborhoods, forcing locals to climb on their roofs and cry for help. 

The floodwaters from the Niobrara River in the northern part of the state were so strong they blasted through the 90-year-old Spencer Dam dam on Thursday, drowning the local town of Lincoln in water and completely washing out a bridge on US Highway 281. 

The flooded Platte and Elkhorn Rivers turned the town of Fremont into an island. Fremont was issued a mandatory evacuation for residents by the Dodge County Sheriff's Office.

The Missouri River, which borders Missouri and Nebraska reached 26 feet on Saturday - a foot below what's considered major flooding - but is expected to crest on Wednesday or Thursday at 29.3 feet, according to WPTV.  

Rescue teams in boats have been pulling trapped residents out of the flood waters since Thursday. 

On Saturday two Nebraska National Guard Black Hawk helicopters spent the day placing massive 1,500-pound sandbags to fortify an island on the Platte River that holds the City of Lincoln's wells and water supply. 

Rescue efforts on Saturday were hindered by levee breaches and the washouts of bridges and highway roads. Officials said power may be shut off in communities near the flooding rivers for safety reasons. 

Brave farmer 50-year-old James Wilke, of Platte County, lost his life when he tried to join the rescue effort on his tractor, despite the wind and rain, on Thursday.

He died when a bridge collapsed as he was crossing it, according to the Omaha World-Herald.    

Helicopters were sent to rescue residents trapped in the fast-rising waters. Locals in Arlington, Nebraska pictured on their roof waiting for help to arrive as the state grapples with the worst flood in 50 years

An aerial view of damaged buildings after a storm triggered historic flooding, in Valley, Nebraska pictured above, drowning homes and businesses in water

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Keep Praying For Nebraska!

Living in huricane country and appreciating the prayers during any natural disaster, I send mine up to the state of Nebraska, dealing wih this horrible weather disaster.

Please join me.....it could be any of us the next time a natural disaster occurs..... 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I certainly join you in prayers for the residents of Nebraska, @KingstonsMom. Such widespread devastation. Heartbreaking losses, especially of life itself. 

🙏❤️🙏 

Trusted Contributor

My home was flooded in 2011....hurricane Lee.  It was the worst experience I have ever been through.  So much damage that took years to recoup from.   Seeing these pictures brings back too many frightening memories.  My prayers go out to the good people of Nebraska.  Never assume it couldn’t happen to you.  Natural disasters are occurring more often than ever.  If you can...please donate to The American Red Cross or any disaster relief programs.  They are wonderful people helping those in need. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomand everyone, 

Prayers for Nebraska. 

May I add prayers for Iowa and Wisconsin too.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin have flooding also. 

Valued Contributor

Missouri is going to start cresting in many areas on Tues.the news says. I still cannot help thinking about the 1993 flood they said was a "500 year" flood and now here it is again and perhaps worse. It is so engrained in my mind of the damage left when the water went down. Highways that looked like rollercoasters, levees broke and lakes left in fields that will never be reclaimed by farming or people's homes, piles and piles of sand left in what was some ot the best agricultural ground around. Most of that was returned to nature for the benefit of wildlife, but sadly at the expense of human and livestock suffering. Drinking water collection has been started by organizations here now. I agree about the Red Cross. They are going to need financial help.

Honored Contributor

My heart weeps watching the weather channel showing scenes from Nebraska. My prayers are with all people and animals in harm’s way.  🙏🏻💕😢