Honored Contributor

Re: Kate's Dress At Pippa Wedding Left Mixed Feelings

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

Kate looks gorgeous, as usual.  Speaking of Kate and Pippa, I was shocked at Kate's wedding to see Pippa in a light cream color.  Even the announcer thought it was the bride for a minute; but it was Pippa.  I don't really care, but I thought it was VERY inappropriate - for the maid of honor to be wearing an ivory gown that could have been mistaken for the bride's gown.  Oh well.  (Just had to get that out... never forgot that after several years!)

@spent2much

I'm pretty sure Kate either selected or approved what Pippa wore.  

I can't imagine that Pippa (or any MOH) would wear something they personally selected and didn't run it by the bride.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

Kate looks gorgeous, as usual.  Speaking of Kate and Pippa, I was shocked at Kate's wedding to see Pippa in a light cream color.  Even the announcer thought it was the bride for a minute; but it was Pippa.  I don't really care, but I thought it was VERY inappropriate - for the maid of honor to be wearing an ivory gown that could have been mistaken for the bride's gown.  Oh well.  (Just had to get that out... never forgot that after several years!)

@spent2much

I can't imagine that Pippa (or any MOA) would wear something they personally selected and didn't run it by the bride.  

Either way, I felt it was inappropriate.  But if Kate allowed it, who am I to argue?  Smiley Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Yes, love the hat....looks whimsical and down the rabbit hole!  RE Kate wearing a conservative dress because of her royalty status, I think this whole Pippa wedding was overshadowed by the royalty stigma.  I question if Pippa's dress would have been so matronly and her ring so ostentatious (both very royalty influence), if her sister hadn't been Kate.  I could have imagined Pippa in a lavish flowing stunning summer bride's dress with a generous but reasonable-sized diamond that was elegant and gorgeous.  She is not royalty, but perhaps feels like she needs/wants (hmmmm....she did wear that ivory dress to Kate's wedding) to play the part.  Just a thought.

@phoenixbrd

Sorry .... not following you here.  "Royalty stigma"?    And I can't make sense of the ring comment .....  I never even saw the ring, but you thought it was ostentatious?   What was wrong with it, in your opinion?

Honored Contributor

I don't think her dress, from what I can see of it in the photo, is too conservative at all. I mean, it is too low-cut to qualify as such,. I think it exudes class, and it's a very pretty color on her.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Kate could wear a pillow case and still be beautiful.  However, I've never been impressed with her style.  It's too matronly for her age.  I understand class, elegance,looking regal etc. but you can exude those qualities in fashion and not be so matronly.  I was not a fan of her wedding dress either.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

@spent2much

I can't imagine that Pippa (or any MOA) would wear something they personally selected and didn't run it by the bride.  

Either way, I felt it was inappropriate.  But if Kate allowed it, who am I to argue?  Smiley Wink

@spent2much

After reading your reaction, I had to look it up .....   Both Pippa and all the children were wearing ivory dresses.   I seriously doubt anyone got confused as to who the real bride was.  JMO

Related image

Respected Contributor

@De Anna and @LTT1  I agree with you both.  I thought the dress was the perfect choice for the duchess.  She looked beautiful as she supported her sister on her wedding day!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

10111340-F242-4F2B-92F0-A5CEC02575D5-28847-0000170BBE6830F2.jpeg

Here is what I think: Kate Middleton will be Queen some day. Queen Elizabeth wears fashions that are extremely conservative. It just wouldn't do for Kate to outshine anyone at this wedding. So she made a perfect choice. 

LOVE this photo.  I am not one of the "matronly" callers.  I think she looked like a throwback to another era and in a really lovely way.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Kate may not have chosen this dress, it may have been selected by her sister. Maybe Pipa didn't want anyone to outshine her!

Yes, not like she tried to outshine Kate at her wedding.

lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Consider Kate has impeccable taste the dress seemed like a total miss.

The fit at the bosom was off, the color seemed an obvious  to make me  invisible statement  and the style of a 65 year older mother of the bride (no offense intended to older MOB's).

The hats are a true tradition in England and always find them interesting.