Respected Contributor

Re: Kate's Dress At Pippa Wedding Left Mixed Feelings

Have we seen the MIL's dress?  Isn't that a coat?

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

She wore a pale pink coat dress by Princess Di's favorite designer.

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

To me it looks like Pippa's mother is wearing a coat, too, so what do I know lol  Thanks @PurpleBunny Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

I should have a caption of 'musing about the postings'  I read them all and I noticed something peculiar.  This is besides the the dress is pink, no it is not, the dress is matronly, no it is not, the bust is ill fitting an so on.  I only saw one post referring to the males in the wedding party.  Very little critique of the men.  Why is that?  Oh, never mind, I believe I can respond to my own hypothetical question.  Answer, because it is women doing the postings and they are inherently overly critical of their own.  I apologize to all those positive posters who had wonderful things to say about this celebratory event. 

And I think it's because the men's clothes are boring and all pretty much look the same.  No gender bashing necessary.

I agree.  Female clothing is more varied and interesting then male's.  Any mother of boys knows that!  I love having sons, but my friends with daughters always had more choices re clothing for their kids.  Female fashions are far more inventive and creative.

I don't see this as having anything to do with women being critical of women.  It's fun to talk fashion, whether we agree with someone's choices or not.  No one is saying awful things about these women - We're simply commenting about what they wore.  Harmless, IMO.  (And for whatever it's worth, I thought Pippa and Kate both looked beautiful.)

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

I love that *coat* dress and have owned and worn something similar in the 80's.  I guess it's timeless.  That color is also something that was in my wardrobe back then.  Very feminine. 

I think if Kate's dress were that color, it would have been prettier.  

Some keep saying she was *tending kids*.  As a grandmother, I can say, you don't need to dress like Mary Poppins--to tend to kids.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

I should have a caption of 'musing about the postings'  I read them all and I noticed something peculiar.  This is besides the the dress is pink, no it is not, the dress is matronly, no it is not, the bust is ill fitting an so on.  I only saw one post referring to the males in the wedding party.  Very little critique of the men.  Why is that?  Oh, never mind, I believe I can respond to my own hypothetical question.  Answer, because it is women doing the postings and they are inherently overly critical of their own.  I apologize to all those positive posters who had wonderful things to say about this celebratory event. 

And I think it's because the men's clothes are boring and all pretty much look the same.  No gender bashing necessary.

I agree.  Female clothing is more varied and interesting then male's.  Any mother of boys knows that!  I love having sons, but my friends with daughters always had more choices re clothing for their kids.  Female fashions are far more inventive and creative.

I don't see this as having anything to do with women being critical of women.  It's fun to talk fashion, whether we agree with someone's choices or not.  No one is saying awful things about these women - We're simply commenting about what they wore.  Harmless, IMO.  (And for whatever it's worth, I thought Pippa and Kate both looked beautiful.)

Of course, more competitive, lending to a catfight which could have easily occurred here.

Honored Contributor

I think the Royals want to look matronly... it's their "thing." IMO

Also, little George immediately made me think of Diana when I saw them.  IMO

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~