Contributor

I hope people picket his funeral.

Fred Phelps, known exactly nowhere for his message of tolerance, is reportedly in hospice care and "on the edge of death" in Kansas, his estranged son says in a Facebook post. Nate Phelps also claims that the 84-year-old driving force behind the Westboro Baptist Church was ex-communicated by his own church last year. "Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way," wrote the younger Phelps, who left the church in 1980. "Destroyed by the monster he made." A second estranged son, Mark, tells the Topeka Capital-Journal that the news "is accurate."

A Westboro spokesman confirms that the elder Phelps is in hospice care with "a couple things going on," but that "the source that says he's near death is not well informed." Continues Nate Phelps' post: "I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes." CBS notes that just last week, a Missouri court ruled that Westboro protesters must stay at least a football field away from funerals.

Trusted Contributor

I find this man and his brood despicable, and I feel they represent some of the worst qualities in humanity. I do not, however, feel his funderal deserves to be picketed; it deserves to be ignored.

Honored Contributor
Anyone know why his church excommunicated him though?
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 KYToby said:

I find this man and his brood despicable, and I feel they represent some of the worst qualities in humanity. I do not, however, feel his funderal deserves to be picketed; it deserves to be ignored.

Well-stated, and I agree.

Respected Contributor

aaach!----The fates will deal with him. I will not waste my energy on him.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/16/2014 tansy said: Anyone know why his church excommunicated him though?

Wow. I could think of several hundred public reasons right off the top of my head.

Honored Contributor

I wish they hadn't excommunicated him. Then the church might have ended when he died.

Sounds like even more radical nuts took over and removed him, (since they are still picketing, I doubt he was opposed by kinder, gentler churchgoers!)

Regular Contributor

I read that the excommunication was a legal matter so that none of the "church's" wealth could be touched upon his death. Also that he could receive medical care,hospice, etc. as a man without means.

As far as the funeral, I would ignore it.

Super Contributor

Soooo, is anyone picketing outside his window?

Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2014 celeste27 said:

I read that the excommunication was a legal matter so that none of the "church's" wealth could be touched upon his death. Also that he could receive medical care,hospice, etc. as a man without means...

Clever little group, aren't they? {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent