Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kanye admits he is Bipolar

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think the great difficulty for many with bi-polar is clearly articulated in the title of Kanye's new release.

I think you might be referring to what he wrote on the album cover.

The title of the new release is "Ye."

Respected Contributor

One thing about those TV ads . Most of the drugs now being pushed by PHARMA for Bi Polar are in a class called "Atypical Antipsychotics".  They are expensive. these drugs were developed for use in treating schizophrenia. The old heavy drugs like Thorazine came with bad side effects.  But only fraction over  1% of the population is affected.  Bi Polar is now a common Dx. Over 2.5% - a tailor-made new market for most of these expensive, on-patent meds.  and  There are loads of side effects with these Atypicals. Google Tardive Dyskenesia. The meds with their bloated R&D  have created a market, much like Ritalin and othet stimulant drugs created a nation of children with ADD and ADHD. Check off 5 boxes on the Connors scale. He is acting childish?  Loud?  Not coloring inside the lines?    Yes, your child is Hyper.  Rx Amphetamines.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

He admitted back when he had his breakdown a couple of years ago.  That's old news.  That's why so many people were say things like "he's off his medication"  when he started acting so weirdly recently.  He does what so many bipolar people do, he goes off his medication and then bad things happen.  In the case of an artist or musician, I'm sure the effects of bipolar medication do interfere with their creativity.  I think they have to make a choice between living a mentally ill, out of control life or being creative and producing their art.  I disagree about no one knowing what bipolar is.  It was called being manic-drepressive and there was no cure for it until medications were developed.  Also years ago, mental illness of any sort, carried a stigma and people didn't talk just didn't talk about it.  

@chrystaltree

As far as I know, there is no cure.  There is control with medication.

And if there were no stigma people wouldn't continue to call people who suffer from it "crazy".  

You're right, there's no cure.  They can only control it with medication and therapy.  I suppose it depends on what people you are talking about  There are indeed some ignorant, ill informed people out there but in my life I haven't heard the term "crazy" used to describe mental illness in quite some time.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Nah, not really. Seen him on the news but have no clue what he does. But!  Bipolar did get my attention, and you know I am always interested in physical and mental issues. 

Things going better here, hope the same for you. Be well now, eh!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think the great difficulty for many with bi-polar is clearly articulated in the title of Kanye's new release.

I think you might be referring to what he wrote on the album cover.

The title of the new release is "Ye."

@SusieQ_2

You are correct!

I thought the title and the other words written on the cover were one and the same.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

He admitted back when he had his breakdown a couple of years ago.  That's old news.  That's why so many people were say things like "he's off his medication"  when he started acting so weirdly recently.  He does what so many bipolar people do, he goes off his medication and then bad things happen.  In the case of an artist or musician, I'm sure the effects of bipolar medication do interfere with their creativity.  I think they have to make a choice between living a mentally ill, out of control life or being creative and producing their art.  I disagree about no one knowing what bipolar is.  It was called being manic-drepressive and there was no cure for it until medications were developed.  Also years ago, mental illness of any sort, carried a stigma and people didn't talk just didn't talk about it.  

@chrystaltree

As far as I know, there is no cure.  There is control with medication.

And if there were no stigma people wouldn't continue to call people who suffer from it "crazy".  

You're right, there's no cure.  They can only control it with medication and therapy.  I suppose it depends on what people you are talking about  There are indeed some ignorant, ill informed people out there but in my life I haven't heard the term "crazy" used to describe mental illness in quite some time.  

@chrystaltree

I see the term "crazy" on this very thread to describe Kanye's illness.

And that's just once instance here.  Other discussions on mental illness have brought in the "crazy" characterization on this board.

And this is just one place.  If you haven't seen it, you aren't paying attention here.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Nah, not really. Seen him on the news but have no clue what he does. But!  Bipolar did get my attention, and you know I am always interested in physical and mental issues. 

Things going better here, hope the same for you. Be well now, eh!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Ah, well, all I saw in your post related to bipolar was that it "is not to be taken lightly".  Which I would certainly agree with.  

But the bulk of your post was about Kanye and how you don't know anything about him or care.   You seemed to be wanting to make more of a statement there than about bipolar.  

Glad things are going better with you and yours. 

I am well, thanks!

Respected Contributor

What will it take for mental illness to not be seens as a fault or anything to be "admitted"?  When will it be seen as a real illness of the brain that stimulates some compassion instead of a tool for condemnation?

Honored Contributor

@Free2be

Having spent 7+ days in a Mental Ward in our hospital, which I had myself admitted, I can speak to it from experience. Many of the patients I met would/could carry on casual or serious conversation's, and about many topics.  

Who knew what their mental issues were without hearing them tell them in some of our classes? Some patients didn't even want to tell their stories, and nobody was pressured into doing so. Some, I feel, felt ashamed or maybe weak and also maybe a failure or disappointment to their family.

These types of patients DID NOT want anyone to know their problems, even in this setting. Of course there is probably no way they would let anyone in their outside life know about it. On my opinion, that IS a part of the problem. If they cannot even admit to themselves that is not a weakness, but a genuine medical issue for most will these types of problems.

I have never been ashamed or embarrassed to tell people that I had myself admitted to a Mental Hospital. If they want yo more, I am more than happy yo tell them. Unfortunately, I am in a very minut' minority willing to do this. People need to quit worrying about WHAT WILL OTHERS THINK, and live their lives knowing there are few people that have ZERO FLAWS or WEAKNESS'S.

I do not want sympathy or empathy from anyone as I see that my mental issues, for the most part, were things over which I had no control. When more that have mental issues start letting others know, maybe what you call "condemnation", will be more easily understood by people in general.

Look back at all the things that "used to be hidden", that not stuffed in a closet anymore. How many times have you heard or read "they came out" in the last few decades? I see mental illnesses, regardless of the causes, becoming the same, some day/decade. These are my feelings on this topic.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Katcat1

My cousin inherited bipolar condition from her father who committed suicide as we later found out ( not the death on the golf course story we youngsters were told ).

Her daughter inherited the same condition and was hospitalized at the same time with her mother.  The daughter later committed suicide.

My cousin’s college-age grand daughter also inherited the condition as we unfortunately discovered last summer.  

The severe mood swings, whether manic or depression, are difficult to deal with.  While my cousin at 70 is good about taking her meds, she is still very trying.  Evidently I am the only family member she hasn’t alienated over time. I stay supportive of her....I promised her mother I would be there for her and I am keeping my word.

@jlkz

You are a good person for being there for her, it is a hard road.