Respected Contributor

Re: Kanye admits he is Bipolar

@Katcat1

My cousin inherited bipolar condition from her father who committed suicide as we later found out ( not the death on the golf course story we youngsters were told ).

Her daughter inherited the same condition and was hospitalized at the same time with her mother.  The daughter later committed suicide.

My cousin’s college-age grand daughter also inherited the condition as we unfortunately discovered last summer.  

The severe mood swings, whether manic or depression, are difficult to deal with.  While my cousin at 70 is good about taking her meds, she is still very trying.  Evidently I am the only family member she hasn’t alienated over time. I stay supportive of her....I promised her mother I would be there for her and I am keeping my word.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

He has mental illness, he's not a "mental case". That's the main reason people don't seek help or even talk about it, because of the stigma and prejudice that still exists. People with physical illnesses get all kinds of sympathy, people with mental illnesses don't. Certainly not around here.

He didn't have to admit to anything, he's not guilty of anything.

I’ve been seeing Pharma commercials on TV for bi-polar conditions

so it’s definitely not hiding.  I do think it’s important he’s taking about it

due to the fact he has so many followers between his/his in-law family

to spread the word.  If it can help just one person....

@sidsmom

No, it's not "hiding" but people still, in this day and age and as evidenced by some responses here, that those who suffer from bi-polar (among other mental illnesses) are still referred to as "crazy".  And derided.

I totally agree that if his openness about it (great title for his new release, btw) helps just one person than it's a good thing that he's talking about it.  People with mental illness should not have to be quiet about it, just as those with physical illnesses shouldn't. 

Honored Contributor

I thought this for sometime. When people were laughing about him writing a book, and running for president, didn't laugh. I felt sorry for him, because ,I thought he was either off his meds ,or they weren't working for him

Sometimes ,it isn't that easy, to find the right cocktail for this condition. One of our old poster's husband, has this disease ,and she went through a terrible time with him

I hope they were able to get him stable

Honored Contributor

I will never understand why the fascination with that family.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Bipolar is not something to take lightly for sure. I have heard of this guy, and also seen clips of him on a news network. I don't know him, so what he is saying and is doing? No way I can say much except, why would anything that he says or does be of any interest to me?

hn

@hckynut

Well, you DID open the thread that was clearly about him.

So you must've had SOME interest.

Just sayin'!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I was just w.a.i.t.i.n.g for someone to go off topic.

Surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

What’s the Under/Over before someone blames Kim?

(back to regularly scheduled programming)

Honored Contributor

I think the great difficulty for many with bi-polar is clearly articulated in the title of Kanye's new release.

Honored Contributor

He admitted back when he had his breakdown a couple of years ago.  That's old news.  That's why so many people were say things like "he's off his medication"  when he started acting so weirdly recently.  He does what so many bipolar people do, he goes off his medication and then bad things happen.  In the case of an artist or musician, I'm sure the effects of bipolar medication do interfere with their creativity.  I think they have to make a choice between living a mentally ill, out of control life or being creative and producing their art.  I disagree about no one knowing what bipolar is.  It was called being manic-drepressive and there was no cure for it until medications were developed.  Also years ago, mental illness of any sort, carried a stigma and people didn't talk just didn't talk about it.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I was just w.a.i.t.i.n.g for someone to go off topic.

Surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

What’s the Under/Over before someone blames Kim?

(back to regularly scheduled programming)

OFF TOPIC? Last i heard he is part of that family.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

He admitted back when he had his breakdown a couple of years ago.  That's old news.  That's why so many people were say things like "he's off his medication"  when he started acting so weirdly recently.  He does what so many bipolar people do, he goes off his medication and then bad things happen.  In the case of an artist or musician, I'm sure the effects of bipolar medication do interfere with their creativity.  I think they have to make a choice between living a mentally ill, out of control life or being creative and producing their art.  I disagree about no one knowing what bipolar is.  It was called being manic-drepressive and there was no cure for it until medications were developed.  Also years ago, mental illness of any sort, carried a stigma and people didn't talk just didn't talk about it.  

@chrystaltree

As far as I know, there is no cure.  There is control with medication.

And if there were no stigma people wouldn't continue to call people who suffer from it "crazy".