Respected Contributor

Re: Kanye admits he is Bipolar

"Full of Himself" might be an additional and appropriate diagnosis here. I see it...and I bet Taylor Swift does, too.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

He has mental illness, he's not a "mental case". That's the main reason people don't seek help or even talk about it, because of the stigma and prejudice that still exists. People with physical illnesses get all kinds of sympathy, people with mental illnesses don't. Certainly not around here.

He didn't have to admit to anything, he's not guilty of anything.

I’ve been seeing Pharma commercials on TV for bi-polar conditions

so it’s definitely not hiding.  I do think it’s important he’s taking about it

due to the fact he has so many followers between his/his in-law family

to spread the word.  If it can help just one person....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can tramatic events trigger the bi-polar disorder?

If I remember, he was on tour when Kim was robbed

in Paris two yrs ago...and he cancelled his concert tour.

Wonder if there was any connection.

Is it something one is born with & if it manifests

into something more if trauma is introduced?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Can tramatic events trigger the bi-polar disorder?

If I remember, he was on tour when Kim was robbed

in Paris two yrs ago...and he cancelled his concert tour.

Wonder if there was any connection.

Is it something one is born with & if it manifests

into something more if trauma is introduced?

Shoekitty said,

To answer your questions, yes 

There are two types of bi polar 1 and 2.

the difference between the two are the severity of the mania and the depressive episodes, with bipolar1  being more severe in the intensity of the episodes.  Bipolar 1 has very severe mania, lasting weeks, until the body is spent, throwing them into depression. The depression is long, and deep.  Suicide being a high risk.  During mania all kinds if risky behaviors are present, lack of sleep, they have All kinds of ideas and energy.  Feelings are on top of the world.  Usually it is during the mania patients refuse help and medication, because they feel so good.

Bipolar 2 can have months,sometimes years between episodes.  The episodes not lasting as long, with not the intensity of bipolar1.

Diet and proper rest are very important to bipolar sufferers. Stress  can bring on symptoms. Medication, and or monitoring are important.  Some bipolar 2 patients do not take meds, but monitor themselves with help of a trained doctor.  When amping up behaviors (how ever slight ) or depressive moods are noted ,they are dealt with right away. Bipolar 1 needs medication usually, and are extremely hard to treat. Both 1& 2 tend to drown feeling in alcohol or drugs or excessive behavior,

there is a theory that the onset of spring from the dark dreary days of winter can effect mania symptoms, and a closer watch is needed

the trouble with bipolar1 is, they tend to welcome manic moods, and 

as the mania progress they are very resistant to help of any kind until they fall, and the dark days consume them

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty I have a sister with the same illness as your Brother, it is very difficult to deal with and affects the whole family (((hugs)))

Trusted Contributor

On this topic.... pregnancy can cause a woman's body/brain to develop/manifest a mental illness.... the hormonal changes in her body are so severe in some cases.  This surprised me when I learned it a few years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

He has mental illness, he's not a "mental case". That's the main reason people don't seek help or even talk about it, because of the stigma and prejudice that still exists. People with physical illnesses get all kinds of sympathy, people with mental illnesses don't. Certainly not around here.

He didn't have to admit to anything, he's not guilty of anything.

@Greeneyedlady21

Mental illness is an invisible disability, a cancer of the soul. You are right, people totally don't understand.

Honored Contributor

Bipolar is not something to take lightly for sure. I have heard of this guy, and also seen clips of him on a news network. I don't know him, so what he is saying and is doing? No way I can say much except, why would anything that he says or does be of any interest to me?

hn

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

well that's a challenge - and i hope people are more understanding.  many interesting people have dealt with this - Catherine Zeta Jones,  Ernest Hemingway, Mariah Carey, Mel Gibson, Jane Pauley, Frank Sinatra, Winston Churchill, Patty Duke,  to name but a few  ........from a listing at WebMD.