Respected Contributor

Re: KING CHARLES' ADDRESS TO THE NATION

I know this is going to sound insensitive and horrible, but at the end when he mentioned his "momma and pappa" I broke out into hysterical laughter.  It just sounded so strange coming from the mouth of a 74 year old man.  It must be a British thing.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I know this is going to sound insensitive and horrible, but at the end when he mentioned his "momma and pappa" I broke out into hysterical laughter.  It just sounded so strange coming from the mouth of a 74 year old man.  It must be a British thing.

It is.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Interesting reaction to that.  Hysterical laughter. Really?

What does his age have to do with his love for his mother and father?  I don't find it laughable.  He's a grieving son.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

@lovesallanimals It is also an Italian thing. My mother called her parents Mama and Papa also. When I was a child I was taught Mama and Papa.
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I didn't see that part of his speech yet @lovesallanimals but your post made me laugh. It's sad when someone dies, but it is OK to laugh too!

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Interesting reaction to that.  Hysterical laughter. Really?

What does his age have to do with his love for his mother and father?  I don't find it laughable.  He's a grieving son.

Lighten up @gidgetgh it's OK to laugh. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

If you're referring to his his pronunciation of each "Ma-MA, Pa-PA", as opposed to our American version of "MA-ma and PA-pa", that is also something from a bygone era of the well-to-do upper classes.  I've heard him address his parents as such for years.

We tend to use those familial addresses as children only.

Honored Contributor

@beach -mom, So agree with you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Isn't the heir automatically POW?  I don't think he has to be appointed or named to assume that slot.

"Prince of Wales. The title is intended for the male heir apparent to the throne, but is an appointment, rather than a birthright. In fact every male heir to the British throne has been given the title"

was curious about it so I looked it up, when Charles became POW in the 70's there was a big ceremony in Wales. but looks like that is not

a given 

@jackthebear  You are right. I was curious too. Because I remember the ceremony for Charles.

I remember Charles investiture as the Prince of Wales. He learned to speak Welsh, when he gave his speech. Charles was born November 14, 1948. So he was almost 10 when he first was given the title.

Charles was created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester on 26 July 1958, though his investiture was not held until 1 July 1969, when he was crowned by his mother in a televised ceremony held at Caernarfon Castle. He took his seat in the House of Lords in 1970,

Esteemed Contributor

I like his speech, thought he did a nice job. Yes it was funny in a cute way he mentioned his mom and dad. Life is absurd at times. The Monarchy has absurd moments even tho it is meant as a guiding light. Queen E had a great sense of humor.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.