Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

There's a difference between treated and untreated mental illness. When someone's manic or delusional thoughts cause problems in reality, they need to be taken out of a position where they can harm others. So Kanye, when he is delusional or dangerously manic, should have supervised time with his children, but not be allowed to involve the children, or Kim for that matter, in acting out his delusions.

He refuses to take his medication, so it's on him to accept the consequences of that decision. If his creativity is worth that much to him, he is accepting the sacrifices as well.

Exactly!  There is no predicting what somebody in a severely manic state might do.   I do mean that literally, having studied this extensively and having known a couple of people who had such a severe case.

I remember this one friend, who I tried to help and had to learn that there was no helping (it's like trying to convince a brainwashed person of reality, honestly) told me that Pres Clinton contacted him and wanted him to come in the WH on AF1 to be his lawyer (before an accident that put him in this condition, he was an attorney).  He told me this because he wanted me to go with him.   I tried and tried to convince him that this was not true but there was no convincing.   I guess, at some point, he just moved on to the next thing and there were several of these delusions that beseiged him.  He was one of the severe cases for whom the meds just weren't enough and he had to spend many stints in the mental hospital.   It's terribly unfortunate but can also be dangerous.  Sad that there is nothing you can do to help.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

One only needs to read some of the comments here to see that the stigma against those with mental illnesses is very much alive. 

It happens on these forums constantly. Don't understand why it's allowed. 

Ignorant and cruel.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

While I'm not a fan of them, I really do believe that Kim and Kanye love each other and their children. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Valued Contributor

Kim doesn't seem like such a bad person to me.  She has the decency to try to help with prison reform and actually study law.  Her mother is the money-hungry one whom I feel made her girls what they became.  Nothing matters to them except looks and money.

I feel sorry for Kanye.  He seems like a good guy, to tell you the truth.  I've seen interviews with him and he was likable to me.  He needs to take his meds.  It' sad.

I feel sorry for them both right now.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG This little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home!!!!!!!!!!!   Love it, is this Baxter?

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@ECBG This little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home!!!!!!!!!!!   Love it, is this Baxter?

@Boomernichols 

Don't recall.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  "sometimes a little trial and error is necessary to find the right drug and dosage to help the patient.  If the patient doesn't cooperate, why bother seeing any doctor?" Are you kidding? One in nine Americans is on, or has been on, antidepressants, specifically SSRI's. The average effort by a psychiatrist to find "the right one" involves the patient trying 3-5 different drugs. It is coming to the attention of the public through grass roots movements across the world that these drugs are toxic to the brain. And on top of that, they don't generally work! Most people on them report feeling "numb, or passive" at best, and have a myriad of sometimes permanent side effects, like weight gain, high blood pressure, heart irregularities, liver damage, suicidal affects, rage and worsening depression. Kanye has reported in an on-air interview with Charlemagne that he has been given a string of antidepressants that have sent him into a tailspin of emotions, which are not within his control. This response to sequential experimentation by psychiatrists is common, and Kanye ended up in the hospital as a result. I don't claim he or his wife are victims. But it helps to see him in the context of the psychiatric drug nightmare he is enduring. 

Honored Contributor

History has shown that people with mental illness can appear to be normal, hold down jobs and hold high positions. The problem is that most people believe that only the homeless and those incarcerated are crazy. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@NicksmomESQ Yes, those children are growing up surrounded by dysfunction, with a father who is frequently manic, with grandiosity, delusional thinking and agitation. With the extent of his Bipolar illness, his refusal to take medications is dangerous for him and all involved.

Bipolar illness can be familial, influenced by social and environmental effects, too. So these kids are in jeopardy with their unstable environment.

I worked with families where I saw two, to three generations of some family members all sharing severe Bipolar illness. My favorite family was grandmother, mother then teen daughter. Balance could never be achieved. The daughter's outcome ended tragically. I think of her often and will never forget her.

I would hope that Kim knows this and will try to mediate the chaos for those beautiful children. There's a chance there will not be a good ending. Money can't buy everything. 

Shoekitty,  this is true.  As I said my brother suffers from this illness and schitzophrenia as well,  it effected the whole fmaily.  All of us.  I was the oldest, and left to college at 18, leaving my 2 younger brothers behind.   My mom was a denier of his illness, and my youngest brother was around my ill brother.  Mental illness in men often shows up often as  males turn teenage with testosterone surging. Manythings the teen does is cast aside as teen angst.  Thats why so many boys go to college and loose it. The parents arent around to nuture, and reign in.    They  always  had bi polar in them, it just unleashes with testosterone and tons of stress.  One reason maybe why Kanye started losing it after his mom died.  Shemight have kept him in check, once she was gone this horrid illness unleashes.  I' m no doctor, just a guess from being around mental illness for 50 years. I can't tell you the genius brains many of those with this mental illness have.  My brother included.  He managed degrees, he mastered piano and held concerts, he did the same in guitar, and then there was his artist period.  A true artist.  Sold his work, then quit or broke down again and started something else .

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

Maxwell.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.