Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: KFC DITCHES SLOGAN -COVID

I don't think they're trying to tell anyone not to lick their fingers at home or in their cars. The tagline just sounds icky and off key right now. Picturing people licking themselves in public at the KFC is a major turn off at the moment. Then touching the tables and chairs and counters and the bathrooms.

They want to be able to open indoor seating, presumably. This is probably a step toward making their stores seem safer to eat in. Things like that should be encouraged as part of getting the economy back on track. It's just temporary so I don't see any reason to get upset by a business trying to adapt and survive. For me, it doesn't change anything one way or another.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I didn't think twice about it. It's just not something that I care about one way or another. I find that I have to save my indignation for enough things already.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I think KFC is right.   Maybe it doesn't happen in your car, but I've often seen someone come out of a KFC, hand the food bag to someone in the car and see that person reach in and grab a piece of chicken to munch on the way home.   Hands washed?   Maybe, maybe not.

Or think of someone going through a drive-through window -  getting a bag of food, handling money or a credit card, pulling away and eating as they go.   What percentage of those hands are clean?

After all, research used to show myriad people use rest rooms without getting anywhere near running water and soap!  Some of those restrooms are even in supposedly high-class restaurants, not the neighborhood fast food outlet.

Oh come on... And them removing the decades old 'finger licking good' is going to make a difference and magically change all these 'maybes'... I kind of don't think so...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Really doubt a change of slogan will stop the virus.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3. Thank you for thinking about it once though and caring about it enough to post. 👍
Honored Contributor

As to the hand-washing part of this:

Oddly, early this year shortly before the pandemic, I had just launched a new campaign with myself to stop washing my hands so much.

I am not a crazy hand-washer, but pretty much washed my hands quite a few times a day and figured I was destroying my skin and using so much water that I would find ways to cut back just a bit.   For example, I would put on my dishwashing gloves before getting my mail or bringing in parcels.  That way, I didn't have to wash my hands right after I did all that.   LIttle stuff like that was helpful but I was still washing my hands adequately.

So, now I'm just keeping with the glove thing  for additional reasons now.  Smiley Happy

My hands definitely look better because I'm more able to keep them moisturized.  When I was washing my hands even more I wasn't putting lotion on them every time because I had things to deal with that made that inconvenient, plus I didn't want to be wasteful.

As to the KFC promotions - I can see their point.  It's not my gig, so I don't care either way.  Maybe they just think it's the right thing to do and they have that right.

Honored Contributor

Wow, they really set the bar low for their customers... lol

Respected Contributor

Maybe instead of ditching the slogan KFC should have added to the slogan - “it’s finger lickin’ good (but remember to wash your hands first!)”. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

This has to be one of the silliest overreactions yet to this situation...

@stevieb How stupid can it get?

Trusted Contributor

I don't care what KFC does.  I don't eat KFC.  And call me weird but I can't recall ever licking my fingers while eating.  Have I missed out on something wonderful?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.