Respected Contributor

Re: KFC Beyond Fried Chicken

[ Edited ]

Plant based foods will be the wave of the future as there is not enough land to meet the increasing demand for meat and chicken in this country.  A single patty burger is now a triple patty with half a pound of bacon and a slab of crispy chicken, maybe throw on a handful of ham or bbq beef while you are at it. 

People want their animals to be raised in a humane manner - grazing free with lots of room to run in the sunshine pecking at little insects in the fresh green grass -  not housed in the horribly disgusting crowded conditions in poultry houses or feed lots.

Can't have it both ways, I suppose. 

So the moral is, Buy land - they aren't making it any more.

and eat kale.  Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@tansy wrote:

The food industries are waging a food fight.  I’m sure the fake meat industry is lobbying like crazy.

@tansy  That’s one thing about those lobbyist, they always have the welfare of the country at heart. Bless their little hearts.

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

Beyond Fried Chicken doesn't have any appeal to me and furthermore, ewhhhhh...  Personally I don't think this idea will go over well with the public.

too late, it already has. thats why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

If some people get their way all we’ll have to eat is Frankenfood. Fast food is bad enough, but now we have fake fast food. What’s next Soylent Green?

Ketra, ready for a laugh. There already is a company making a meal replacement drink called Soylent.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D @I looked that up and it is scary stuff.I enjoy chewing my food and a variety of textures and tastes.I sure hope that food as I know it will always be available for those who want it.

Honored Contributor

Just because it’s plant based doesn’t make it healthy. I don’t eat KFC chicken and I wouldn’t eat their non meat version either. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Just because it’s plant based doesn’t make it healthy. I don’t eat KFC chicken and I wouldn’t eat their non meat version either. 

Last time we ate at KFC, it was awful.  When we want chicken from a fast food (which is very rare) we get Bojangles.  Hmmm wonder if they'll jump on board the non meat version? 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

If some people get their way all we’ll have to eat is Frankenfood. Fast food is bad enough, but now we have fake fast food. What’s next Soylent Green?

Ketra, ready for a laugh. There already is a company making a meal replacement drink called Soylent.

@Mindy D  Twilight Zone music 😱

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I would never give KFC my money.

Not just because they are now coming out with a soy concentrate and oil "chicken", but because they still support industrial/corporate chicken production, a heinous and disgraceful practice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

Why do people that don’t eat meat look for something that tastes like meat?🤣

If I were a vegan I wouldn’t want anything to do with fake meat.

That’s just me. 

Believe me---I do not crave meat or fish or chicken or eggs or cheese AT ALL!

Never needed to look for substitutes--I'm perfectly happy with each and every tasty meal I make.

Some things I eat do remind me those foods. 

Take for instance today, I'm making a red lentil soup with  ******ake mushrooms.  The mushrooms sometimes seem like strips of beef (like for a stew) and I actually get almost a queazy feeling and have to remind myself it's not meat.

Same for hummus, reminds me of a dip that you would use for potato chips depending on what brand I buy.

I've never tried to make something to *replicate* a meat or cheese or anything like that.  

I had and Impossible Burger because someone kept telling me how good they were and one of my favorite restaurants actually had it on the menu--so I tried it.  

I loved it.  I've ordered it there several times.  Unfortunately it's at a restaurant that is 100 miles away from me, but when I visit my sister, we usually go there.  And I'll order it again.  And again.

Sure, people are grossed out about something that was created in a lab.   Not me.

I'm grossed out about something that was birthed or laid.

But, that's just me.

@Lucky Charm 

From reading your posts over time, I gather you are quite committed to a vegan lifestyle. So I was surprised and delighted to read your post above. 

I too have had an Impossible Burger and find them to be very good. Is it something I would eat every week or every month? No, probably not. But it is an option when going out with friends as more and more restaurants are providing this alternative to meat.

I don't crave meat. I am more than happy to not incorporate it in my diet. My husband, neither a vegan nor a vegetarian, buys Dr. Praeger Burgers or Quorn Meatless Patties and actually prefers them to the real deal.

If people took an honest look at the choices they make it might not be so different. I suspect many opt for artificially sweetened drinks over those laden with real sugar.

Thank you for unapologetically posting your experience with what I believe is not a flash in the pan trend but the future of our food--so much so that I think this might be a good time to invest in their stock.