Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Like Jimmy Stewart, Costner is pleasant.  Or have I missed the scandals and bad behavior?

@just bee 

Just the usual bland affairs in younger days.

Nothing at all compared to today's standards. 

@geezerette  Actually I had read about one some years ago when I was researching something else. But you're right, compared to some things this days it seems pretty trivial.

Honored Contributor

Re: KEVIN COSTNER

[ Edited ]

Last summer's anniversary of a Field Of Dreams and his walking out of the cornfield onto the baseball field prior to the game caused a flood of tears for me.  I loved all his movies.  Even his first where we never saw his face in The Big Chill.  Cut all his parts except for being the corpse.

I suppose Kevin's only smidgen of "talk" was when he left his long time wife and children and started a new family with a much younger woman.  

But man he is Kevin Costner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I felt bad for him when the woman who accepted the award made some sort of snarky comment about his speech.  Something like, "That was quite dramatic..."

@faeriemoon 

Yes... Jane Campion.  Even if she had meant it to be a compliment it just didn't sound like one.

It was "quite dramatic" when her film lost Best Picture to Coda.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

'Mr. Brooks'

tenor-2-2.gif     SCARY !!!!

YES YES YES!!!!! Kevin played a very scary, evil guy BUT still looked like the handsome all American good guy hero. LOVED that movie and taught me to look out for those good lookin' "good" guys. Ya never know.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

I loved one poster description of a different time that KC experienced.  It sure was.   I used to go to the movies alone.  For 25 cents it was a 4 hour world of wonder.  The movies used to change peoples lives.  In a different time with no internet, little or no TV, no cell phones.  Newspapers, the library, and the movies did transport us and were one of the few ways to travel.  At me least me.  My mother who was born in 1921, often said, she grew up in the movies.  The movies taught her etiquette, style, and made her believe in other worlds.  She was raised by immigrant parents, with 8 siblings during the depression. My grandmother never spoke English, and the kids learned English from school and friends.  The parents worked to feed the kids, so not much time for playing or entertainment.  Her and her sisters were at the movies when ever they found a nickel, and stayed all day. You know, untill my mom passed away at 98 she still went to the movies a couple times a week.  Until she didn't understand them anymore, and explicit content had her walking out, lol.   But she still went back.  She said the movies gave her ideas to make clothes, and succeed in business.  And she did.  She actually collected almost a whole set of carnival glass dinnerware they gave away.  Each week a new piece.   She brought them home to her mother and father.who couldn't understand why she was getting all this free stuff, lol.  

@shoekitty 

My mother's story is very similar.  She was born in 1923 and her parents were Italian immigrants.  She lost a couple siblings but, when her mother died during the Depression, ten brothers and sisters were left without a mother.  Her father was encouraged to send them all to the orphanage but instead he raised them.

He took her to the movies and bought her clothes from the Deanna Durbin and Shirley Temple collections.

When I came along, I was the one she took to the theaters.  She liked Rex Harrison so I saw My Fair Lady, The Yellow Rolls-Royce and Dr. Dolittle.  She liked Sean Connery, so I saw all the Bond films.  My siblings had lives, so I was the one who went to the movies with her.

And I couldn't complain.  What was there to complain about?  I was learning about film and it ended up one of my majors in college.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

@spiderw  Another great baseball movie is "For Love of the Game" also starring Kevin Costner. I think it's a great movie and very underrated.

Field of Dreams is one of my all time favorite movie too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2   OMG ... LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie.    Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia in one movie...  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   So fabulous.  Both great,  and...  who to look at first?!!!

Edited to add...   and how could I not mention Sean Connery?  It was a TRIFECTA!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@Janey2   OMG ... LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie.    Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia in one movie...  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   So fabulous.  Both great,  and...  who to look at first?!!!

Edited to add...   and how could I not mention Sean Connery?  It was a TRIFECTA!

@nyc1 

Call me crazy but, during the Bond tribute at the Oscars, I swear I didn't hear his name.

Please... someone tell me I'm wrong.

Sean Connery In 007, James Bond Thunderball -1965- -original Title Thunderball-. Photograph by Album

Esteemed Contributor

I adore Kevin Costner.

We have a well guy who has done some work on our well system in our back yard.  His voice is EXACTLY like Kevin Costner's.  He kind of looks like him too.  If you had your eyes closed, or talked to him on the phone, you would swear it was Kevin Costner.

I love all the movies I have seen with him in it.  One of my favorites is Rumor Has It, with Jennifer Aniston.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@just bee   For me,  he is the only JAMES BOND.  Yes,  Daniel Crag is good,  but Sean Connery is the one and only!  That's SOME PICTURE!