Honored Contributor

Re: KEEPING IT IN PERSPECTIVE ...

@Tinkrbl44 

Well said!  I know I do more than my share of complaining to be sure!  But every time I see reports on t.v. about those poor people, my heart breaks for them.  Anyone who can not feel for these people has no heart. It's hard for me to understand how someone can be so evil. This man is unhinged, he's completely gone off the deep end.  Yes, it's true that things in our country have gotten really messed up and we do hope for improvement, but no matter what, it's nothing compared to what these poor souls are going through.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

From my perspective of having lived a very long life, I have learned to always find something to be grateful for.  There are times it is harder than others, but it sure is worth the effort.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

" but no matter what, it's nothing compared to what these poor souls are going through." 

@AngelPuppy1 

You nailed it.  Well said...Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Like with anything in life, adjust your lifestyle accordingly and stop kvetching.  Complaining about inflation doesn't change anything so do what you can.

Honored Contributor

Inflation has a deeply corrosive societal effect, with far-reaching ramifications.  It's not a matter of, chin up, and struggle on.  Inflation must be avoided, and if not avoided, must be tackled with the correct approaches.

One can have an intense belief in gratitude, and compassion, and helping sufferers around the world, while having a clear-eyed assessment of events.  Claims to the contrary are often attempts to deflect.

Honored Contributor

Most of us have weathered periods of high gas prices, gas lines, mortgages in the double digits and inflation.  It's not new, it's not easy but we will get through it.  

Honored Contributor

Everyone seems to be focused on inflation, gas prices, food prices, etc.

Yes, the poorest of the poor hurt the most but saying that this will all pass does not help them in the present moment.

Complaining about hosts, complaining about late deliveries, complaining about inconsequential family squabbles, complaining about co-workers, etc. etc. etc. -those issues I agree.  Compared to the Ukrainian people-not even close.

Yet we forget that there is medical suffering, too.   When one is in the throes of a serious medical condition, it isn't a matter of "Oh well it could be worse".  Or experiencing the death of a loved one.

I am sure most people feel for the Ukrainians.  We can have compassion and still have personal issues.  Perspective.  Perhaps rearrangement of  perceptions of reality can be needed but not always.

In the end, we can be compassionate, we can have deep feelings, but it doesn't stop there.  We can donate (reliable sources have been listed here).

Everything has a return and there will be a time when this evil is defeated.

In the meantime, in my neck of the woods, we have a Ukrainian organization-right now collected medical supplies.  As soon as the refugees at the border are placed, and I'm sure we will be taking in many of them, the organization will add the request for clothing and household items.

We do what we can; thoughts and prayers simply do not cut it, imo.

I feel for those here who suffer illness, who have lost loved ones, and I can feel for my family situation and I can feel for Ukraine.  One does not negate the other.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 

You wrote an excellent, thoughtful, compassionate post.  Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: KEEPING IT IN PRESPECTIVE ...

@KaySD wrote:

Well, yes, high gas prices are a high class problem for sure.

But we adapt. We slice and dice our budgets to buy it, or we drive less, or we ride share, or switch from steak to beans.

Change is constant and challenging for us all. And still, we can also hold in our thoughts those in fear for their lives, the ones in the next street and across the globe. I'm glad to notice that love and good wishes matter, and cost nothing, and never run short.

That is a pretty elitist statement.  Far from a high class problem.  Do you think people living in poverty don't drive?  Steak?  Some were never able to afford steak. 

Honored Contributor

A European historian tweeted this a few days ago:

"German word of the day is Wohlstandsverwahrlosung, a state of decay that results from having it too easy for too long, leading you to selfishly compare your own petty grievances & mediocre accomplishments to the pain & struggle of people who know the meaning of real problems."

******! She got me pretty good. This target got hit.

How do you pronouce it? Any german speakers here who could phoneticize it for me? I would love to try to use it in conversation.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr