Super Contributor

@Spurt

SPURT the same exact thing happened to me! 2 years ago noticed this nice nice cat wondering the neighborhood, so friendly and had a collar and would come right up to you.

saw him alot and thought he lived close by, only to realize when cold weather came that he was abandoned when he started living in a little shelter a nice lady made who saw him too and was feeding him and sheltering him. he was spayed, declawed and had a collar!

obviously dropped off or just left!!  well I decided to take him in, he had no chip, and he was a true handful of problems for a long time, no doubt from the trauma thrown upon the poor thing and infections and fighting off other cats with claws and catching his dinners with no claws !!!    UGH!!!     

but I persisted in training him and getting his illnesses under control and he is truely a delight now!  just the nicest cat Ive had! he has to go out or will just break down the doors and windows so I cant change that in him but he is so thankful to have a home I cant even tell you!  Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz Next door neighbor or not I would report him to the Human Society and any other agency I could in a heart beat.

We had a circumstance with a neighbor who housed a black lab mix out in below freezing, dangerous temperatures.  Knowing this guy, he probably didn't even provide unfrozen or fresh water.  It was obvious to anyone who drove by.  So I called him.  At first I told him I was someone who frequently traveled the road, noticed and expressed concern.  Then I just blurted out that I was a neighbor.  I didn't threaten or anything, but he knew I was just one of many people who were aware of this inhumane treatment.

Usually I MYOB, but when it comes to pets/animals being neglected or placed in dangerous situations/environments I become a bear.

Super Contributor

@Allegheny

Im the exact same way! meek and mild until it comes to animal abuse and I will report in a heart beat!

i have suffered much retaliation from neighbors that I reported! but no protection from sun or freezing and no water deserves my attention !!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: KEEP YOUR CATS INDOORS!

[ Edited ]

My two cats have always been indoor cats, as have their predecessors. It's the only way to keep them safe.

In my neighborhood we have fox, coyotes, mink, fishers, weasels and raccoons.

My boys wouldn't stand a chance. I want them to live LONG and happy lives!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: KEEP YOUR CATS INDOORS!

[ Edited ]

@nougat wrote:

@Spurt

SPURT the same exact thing happened to me! 2 years ago noticed this nice nice cat wondering the neighborhood, so friendly and had a collar and would come right up to you.

saw him alot and thought he lived close by, only to realize when cold weather came that he was abandoned when he started living in a little shelter a nice lady made who saw him too and was feeding him and sheltering him. he was spayed, declawed and had a collar!

obviously dropped off or just left!!  well I decided to take  him in, he had no chip, and he was a true handful of problems for a long time, no doubt from the trauma thrown upon the poor thing and infections and fighting off other cats with claws and catching his dinners with no claws !!!    UGH!!!     

but I persisted in training him and getting his illnesses under control and he is truely a delight now!  just the nicest cat Ive had! he has to go out or will just break down the doors and windows so I cant change that in him but he is so thankful to have a home I cant even tell you!  Cat Tongue

@nougat

I am so glad you rescued that poor kitty--thank you for having a kind heart--HeartCat Very Happy 

How cruel that he was declawed and someone dumped him, so he couldnt even defend himself and difficult for him to try to catch food too....And then developing all those illnesses, what a blessing that you found him and he got the illnesses taken care of.....

Once some cats get the taste of the outdoors its difficult to get them to stay inside....There is a feral we call 
"the community cat", that many of us take care--she was even spade and gets her shots, several of us let her come inside our homes, but she only stays inside for a short time and wants out, she will throw herself against the door and walls she wants OUT!...she's just too wild....so I know what you mean....We do make sure she has shelter, food, water...

My sister found her cat one hot 100 degree summer day laying on her doorstep, panting and starving, he had scars all over from fights he had been in....my sister gave him food/water and took him to her vet, he wasnt chipped---she had him neutered, bathed, flea treatments, antibiotics for an ear infection and shots...(thinking someone she knew would take him in, but she ended up keeping him).....The Vet's office was amazed at his transformation after only 3 weeks when she brought him back for a follow up treatment for his ear infection....He is a handsome boy, he has a mischievous, fun, and sweet personality...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

My friend does trap and release, to insure that don't have any more kittens. But every spring she is over run with more kittens, it never ends. She houses and vets all the kittens then adopts them out for the price she paid to have them altered. Shelters here are full and wont take any more. 

I've had strays that wanted no part of being inside. It's easier to do when they are kittens and have never been out. Only thing I dislike, is them catching baby bunnies and birds. That's one of the reasons I never got another.

Honored Contributor

Someone once gifted me a kitten. A calico. We named her Flash because she was so fast.Would not stay in the house or even on the 1 acre lot that was our yard.As soon as we'd get near her she take off. In the winter she'd come in to eat and get warm but  soon , she dive out the door as soon as we opened it. We managed to catch her to get her spayed and her shots once.She was just meant to be free and that was all there was to it. I put a flea collar on her once and the next time she came home it was gone. I wonder how she got it off?

Super Contributor

@Spurt

@nun ya

Oh Thank God for people like you to help the helpless! where would they be without us?

They do reward us all the same!  thank you for your kindness and care!

Respected Contributor

No pet should be allowed to roam, ever. I live in the country & people let their pets out the door to become other people's responsibility...they wail when their pet gets hit by a car & blame the driver, they call neighbors animal haters because they don't want the pet on their property & on & on. I have a cat but I'm not a pet parent, she's not my furbaby or any other silly name used to describe the relationship, she's simply a cat that I chose to have, love & take care of so when outdoors she's in a Happy Habitat, it's a mesh tent. Every pet should have an ID collar or chip so if they accidentally get out they have a chance of getting back home. I know many will not like my opinion, it's from years of dealing with injured & dead pets that have been left to wander or dumped. Everyone should be responsible & keep their pets on their property.

Respected Contributor

@Jacie

My three cats were indoor cats.  I would take them outside, only one of them enjoyed it.  I often asked the vets their opinion on keeping them indoors 24-7. Their answer was always it was best to do so and really not psychologically detrimental to the cat especially if it was raised indoors.